Russian feminist blogger faces 5 years for "inciting hatred" against men

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/08/russian-feminist-blogger-faces.html

6 Likes

Some dude is overcompensating at epic proportions- the opposite of what he’s overcompensating over.

13 Likes

In all fairness I have no idea what she’s saying, although I can’t imagine this innocent appearing young woman sitting in a dingy room in front of a camera is espousing death upon all men, but don’t the right wingers say the same thing when they are caught in their lies of sexual abuse and calls for violence? That is was all a joke? And before anyone attacks me for this posting, I’m sure whatever you think I am implying is more than offset by 39 years of my voting for women’s rights, a woman’s right to choose, equal labor laws for women, etc.

Or someone finding this posting offensive and having it shut down. For Christ sake I don’t know how many times that has happened for fairly innocuous posts…

When rule of law ceases to be a thing in your country, people with power amuse themselves by kicking people like this with an Orwellian interpretation of whatever law comes to hand. Black is white, war is peace, and this person is a threat to the men of Russia.

10 Likes

It’s kind of like what trump wants to make Amerika to be.

Meanwhile, men in Russia who ACTUALLY pose a violent threat to the women in their lives can go about their business with impunity.

22 Likes

No matter what people think about what you’re implying, feminism isn’t a tally of credits you get to cash in to offset misogyny. Realign that thought, if you will.

22 Likes

its time for the marmot to stop screaming fuuuuuuuck !

5 Likes

All part of Putin’s war on Cole Porter.

7 Likes

Part of me is reluctantly compelled to say “What’s good for the goose is good for the gander,” another part of me is screaming “WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot??”

4 Likes

And if things like Russia scrapping its laws against domestic violence (as mentioned just up the thread) weren’t the case, you might have the remotest sliver of a point.

4 Likes

you mean i can’t plant a bunch of trees to make it right?

6 Likes

I believe it’s probably a case of In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread. Anatole France

9 Likes

A blogger in Omsk faces 5 years because an anonymous resident of the city of Birobidzhan complained that 12 of her social media posts insulted “the ‘male’ social group,”

A first-time domestic violence offender gets a fine.

Seems legit.

By the way, that’s a long drive. (When Google backs off to show planetary curvature to show the route, that’s long!)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Omsk+Oblast,+Russia/48.8,132.933333/@51.1788705,85.3043311,4z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x43a9ed1acf4f5be9:0x80dcec7becf3329!2m2!1d73.3167342!2d55.0554669!1m0!3e0?hl=en

11 Likes

'“Currently operating in solidarity with” is undeniably an action. It describes what a person is doing in the moment. It does not give credit for past acts of solidarity without regard for current behavior. It does not assume future acts of solidarity. It speaks only to the actions of the present."

• Mia Mckenzie
4 Likes

As an aside, I’ve seen a version of that quote that describes the law as forbidding pissing in the street.

It’s not as popular, presumably because a trip to Paris will easily dispel the idea that the law constrains people from pissing in the street.

1 Like

How many men were sentenced to prison in Russia for inciting hatred against women?

4 Likes

If you find yourself frequently misunderstood, it’s probably due to problems with your communication style.

Rather than being exasperated with other people that they don’t interpret your statements the way you think they should, try to figure out what you’re communicating in practice, and adjust your approach.

7 Likes

It’s funny, because the original meaning of ally seems to encompass all of these concepts. To me it seems like an appropriate term. An alliance is a relationship between two separate parties who recognize differences in their goals and interests (otherwise they could cease being separate, and become one party). They support and cooperate with their allies in conflicts against enemies because it produces strategic benefit to both parties. But it goes without saying that an alliance is not a permanent or absolute thing, that interests and goals might shift over time, and the parties might at any point re-evaluate the alliance and decide to go their own way.

In this sense, being an ally is not a permanent identity, or even something to be sought for its own sake. It’s the recognition of an alignment of interests in a particular context.