Russian state TV is running this clip of Madison Cawthorn calling Zelensky a “thug”

The Cawthorn wing of the Republican party has gone full fascist, ideologically, though. It’s not about the money - Cawthorn made a “bucket list” pilgrimage to “the Fuhrer’s” home before he was in office. Sure, they think they’re protecting their “way of life” because for them that includes white supremacy and Christian authoritarianism. They’re actually willing to take financial hits to have that, to some degree. (And certainly the party has a history of getting poor whites to support them - by advocating for white, Christian supremacy - at the expense of their own financial well-being.)

4 Likes

You have, in that you cleaned off the obscuring layer of bullshit! :wink:

6 Likes

One of the late night hosts remarked that one of the oligarchs must now live on $3300. a month and doesn’t know how he’s going to make it. I’m not sure the truth/joke ratio, but it’s nice to think it may come to this. If these guys are really losing a good portion of their fortunes, putin better watch out for open windows and have a long line of food tasters at the ready.

2 Likes

That would be Mikhail Fridman.

3 Likes

I have no doubt Cawthorn is a fascist. I also believe most politicians are opportunists, and I trust Cawthorn has risen through his circles and ranks because of his views.

I am also sensitive to greed being misrepresented and debated as social conflicts.

1 Like

The problem being that right now, fascists have taken over the Republican party, and there are a fair number actively pushing in that direction, not just going along for the ride. As for the rest of them, we run into the saying: “if there’s a Nazi at the table and 10 other people sitting there talking to him, you got a table with 11 Nazis.” Even if they’re going along with fascists for purely opportunistic reasons, their supporters are fascists, and they’re more sympathetic to the fascism than not.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.