Russia's naval-defense dolphins may have gone AWOL

Originally published at: Russia's naval-defense dolphins may have gone AWOL | Boing Boing

8 Likes

This is kind of like The Hunt for Red October meets Free Willy.

22 Likes

14 Likes

Wow, the list keeps growing!

Team Dolphin!
Team Javelina!
Team Orca!

9 Likes

year getting GIF

22 Likes

“So Long, and Thanks for All the Nukes!”

8 Likes

Which reminds me of one of the little things I love about Star Trek Lower Decks. The beluga whales outranked the main characters.

20 Likes

They’ll be soldiers of fortune in the Ust-Dunaisk Underwater. If you can find them.

4 Likes

They did? In that case the power imbalance makes their repeated attempts to convince other crew members to go skinny dipping a little questionable.

9 Likes

I think it’s OK so long as they’re not in your chain of command.

7 Likes

:thinking: Double agents?

jk, The Day of the Dolphin did not age well.

3 Likes

First, crack the door-code:

Second, rally the team:

Third, send the message - if you follow us, it’ll be the last thing you do…

In 1972 a crack dolphin unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit. These mammals promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as dolphins of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the D-Team.

10 Likes

According to their uniforms the Belugas were Lt JG rank but the bipeds were Ensigns.

The cetaceans are clever enough to avoid harassment charges by claiming they were “just being playful”. Luckily for them, neither John Lilly’s research nor Drunk History survived the Eugenics Wars.

5 Likes

Set-out-to-sea-ya.

And with that… I am gone.

2 Likes

Oh boy. Imagine the team-up if they come across those boat-sinking orcas.

4 Likes

… JUST LOOK AT THEM

11 Likes

8 Likes

Now, even the Russian dolphins are deserting! I wonder if we’ll see them in a Naval version of the “Free Russian Legion”?

3 Likes

i wanna see them team up with the yacht killer whales

4 Likes

See @FloridaManJefe ? Dolphins aren’t always assholes, sometimes they are just conscripts with no choice who take the opportunity for freedom when it presents.

8 Likes