Rutger Hauer, Blade Runner's Roy Batty, RIP

Plus his classic ads for Guinness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIXmHMLPmiM

9 Likes

He will be missed but i’d rather spend a moment thinking about all the cool shit he got to be a part of than dwell on his passing, God knows there’s enough bad news out there. But damn what a charismatic wonderful actor.

20 Likes

I was once in a long relationship with a jackass just because he looked so much like Roy Batty running around shirtless in the bike shorts.

He couldn’t even manage to speak Spanish badly, let alone a bunch of languages like Hauer.

14 Likes

I mean… i get it.

19 Likes

I mean, he’s not even my ‘type’, but…damn, that’s an exception to all my rules!

11 Likes

Other favourite Hauer films (for me) are Split Second and The Legend Of The Holy Drinker.

5 Likes

The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

21 Likes

Roy Batty died in 2019

15 Likes

Watch “The Hitcher” and see him absolutely terrorize C. Thomas Howell. You’ll never look at a plate of fries the same way again. ( I know, I know, you stopped eating fries years ago)

9 Likes

I can’t see that without hearing “Girlfriend in a Coma” playing in my head.

:musical_note:Hobo with a shotgun and I know, I know, he’s really serious.

8 Likes

A wonderful actor who didn’t make the mistake of taking himself too seriously. The knowledge that I’ll never see what his next film would have been saddens me.

8 Likes

Yeah, saw that in 1980-something. Tivoli Theater, University City, Missouri.
It was a revelation. And in his native Dutch, a language I had only begun to learn.

http://www.rutgerhauer.org/index.php

ETA: his official site link

10 Likes

I think calling it “Bum with a Gun” would have resulted in better results at the box office.

3 Likes

So you went Batty, I like it.

8 Likes

I was going to bring that one up. RH brought a lot of intensity to his roles. He was always all-in.

6 Likes

Uh… cough so yeah… similar case for me except it was extremely brief, with subsequent sporadic always slightly odd conversations by phone. We’d stopped seeing each other years before he found Jesus is a big way. He did bear quite the bulky, tall Teutonic resemblance to Roy Batty and … [sigh]

Yeah tell me about it.
Same.

Then later I just gave up contact altogether because the guy was just too much the Trumpy-trumper for me to tolerate. I will say here and now I am on decent terms with plenty of my Texas neighbors who voted for That Criminal Occupant in the White House, and I try to give folks a bit of leeway because I get it that I can’t “fire” my current neighbors unless I move.

5 Likes

“Hobo” is a theoretically non-judgmental term to describe a migratory worker or otherwise homeless person. “Bum” is an epithet that specifically implies a person who asks for handouts because they are too lazy to get a job.

8 Likes

The last time I saw ‘my’ Roy Batty it was two years after I ‘ghosted’ him*, he was standing in line to enter the building I was leaving, and his new wife was tearing him a big, ragged new one. He had a look on his face I had only seen once before in a nature documentary, as a pack of wolves began eating an elk before they had it on the ground: “Please kill me now.” I didn’t point and laugh because I was suddenly struck with an attack of superstition - I realized right at that moment that I had the supernatural power of having my curses actually work.

*I invented ghosting back when cellphones couldn’t fit in your pocket.

8 Likes

Yes, yes, yes. HOBO = HOmeward BOund, and all that.

Just couldn’t let the joke pass… huh? :wink:

3 Likes

Film festival time?

Btw they shorted Ladyhawke which I like ok even if it was a bit weak on writing. No problem with the plot, but they had decent talent and the movie could have benefited from better lines for the actors.

10 Likes