Rutger Hauer, Blade Runner's Roy Batty, RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/24/rutger-hauer-blade-runners.html

20 Likes

One of my favorite performances

11 Likes

Good bye Roy, you’re free now.

giphy

38 Likes

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

33 Likes

blade-runner-time-to-die

23 Likes

“Play hard, you’ll forget the fear.”

19 Likes

No incept dates.

14 Likes

Everybody call it a day, go home and watch Ladyhawke or Blind fury.

21 Likes

Gah, too soon.

9 Likes

Or if you don’t mind subtitles, Soldier of Orange.

10 Likes

Very saddened by this news. Rutger Hauer’s career kicked off with a Paul Verhoeven-directed tv-show called Floris , a sort of Ivanhoe knockoff that was a smash hit with Dutch children such as myself in the late sixties. There is a huge amount of nostaligia about this, mixed with the national mourning here in the Netherlands. Re-watched Blade Runner just a few weeks ago. Still holds up extremely well.

15 Likes

28 Likes

source

28 Likes

I saw Bladerunner when it first came out, but seeing his name always reminds me of the made for tv 1987 film, “Escape from Sobibor”.

He plays a Russian soldier who arrives as a prisoner at the right time to help the escape. He’s not the only known actor in the film.

It’s based on a real event. I only saw the film once, but it’s really cheap on DVD. I did read the book, written by one of the few who survived. Many did escape, but sadly most were killed afterwards, when they tried to find places to hide.

It is an important story, and while he had a long life, Rutger’s death makes me sad because of that role.

12 Likes

Or play Observer, where he voices the part of the player character in a decidedly Blade Runner-esque setting.

5 Likes

Let’s not forget him as the original Hitcher. Such a freak in that.

9 Likes

He was also great in the modern classic - Hobo with a Shotgun!

17 Likes

Or Flesh and Blood.

4 Likes

I feel like this applies to us fans.

6 Likes

Sigh, I’ve always had a weird soft spot for The Blood of Heroes.

4 Likes