Sacha Baron Cohen punks Dick Cheney in promo for his new undercover show

Ahhhh, yes… Hanlon’s Razor.

I was just trying to remember the exact words to this one because I need share this quote with a friend going through a bad breakup.

But does Cheney still shoot his hunting buddies in the face and chest? Because that routine gets less funny every time he does it.

1 Like

Looks like it’s going around.

1 Like

Here in Oz, we’ve had our own Jewish prankster for a while now.

John Safran has given us lots of gold.

(Heaps of encoding errors in that one after the rant; here’s a better copy minus the preamble)

2 Likes

This bit keeps disappearing from the Internet:

He snuck into Disneyland via a work area and attached information plaques he made about founder Walt Disney to a display (highlighting little known Disney “facts” such as Walt Disney’s alleged early support for Adolf Hitler)

2 Likes

No surprise… That was great work :grinning:

It’s good to know that Tony Benn didn’t have thin skin like Republicans have now.

2 Likes

Borat was a bogus character because he was based on the idea that Muslims were against Israel because of antisemitism, not because of the discrimination non-Jews face in Israel. The character & movie are Islamophobic.

Borat was not portrayed as Muslim. He claimed his people worshipped “The Hawk.” The bit worked primarily because most Americans have no idea what the culture of Kazakhstan is like, including religious makeup.

4 Likes

Ahhh, Buzzfeed. Given the wording used (and the fact that it’s buzzfeed, known for X tries Y videos… but only featuring very young, inexperienced people), that article is very clearly polling the 15-25 year old crowd.

Imagine if we tried to draw conclusions about the average American’s driving ability based on the same group.

1 Like

I am conflicted. On the one hand, it’s a patriotic duty to call these deplorables out at every turn. Yet on the other hand, I cringe to think that mocking this also serves to normalize it. SNL didn’t think Trump had a chance when they invited him to host the show, turns out they ended up helping him win.

It’s hard to know what will help me get out of this paralyzing panic I feel these days.

1 Like

The people on the right who are outraged about this don’t seem to mind James O’Keefe and Project Veritas.

2 Likes

As opposed to el presidente, who has mocked … well, disabled veterans, the dead, the handicapped, women, POC, LGBTQ, [insert_everyone_here], … ?

Good news! Apparently, Roy Moore was also duped by SB Cohen. I can’t wait to see it.

2 Likes

I know satire can be easy to misinterpret, but that’s a severe misreading of that movie.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, the comedian revealed he was a devout Jew, observing Sabbath and eating kosher foods, and he referred to the singing scene to defend his inflammatory comedy.

"Borat essentially works as a tool. By himself being anti-Semitic, he lets people lower their guard and expose their own prejudices, whether it’s anti-Semitism or an acceptance of anti-Semitism. ‘Throw the Jew Down the Well’ was a very controversial sketch, and some members of the Jewish community thought it was actually going to encourage anti-Semitism.

“But to me it revealed something about that bar in Tuscon. And the question is: did it reveal that they were anti-Semitic? Perhaps. But maybe it just revealed that they were indifferent to anti-Semitism,” he said.

Baron Cohen said the concept of “indifference towards anti-Semitism” had been informed by his study of the Holocaust while at Cambridge University, where he read history. "I remember, when I was in university, and there was this one major historian of the Third Reich, Ian Kershaw. And his quote was, ‘The path to Auschwitz was paved with indifference.’

“I know it’s not very funny being a comedian talking about the Holocaust, but I think it’s an interesting idea that not everyone in Germany had to be a raving anti-Semite. They just had to be apathetic,” he said.

Source:

9 Likes

Did Cohen dress up like a catholic school girl or something?

1 Like

Roy Moore hints that he, too, was duped by Sacha Baron Cohen, blaming ‘shadowy media groups’

4 Likes

You forgot the “echo” parentheses on that last bit, which would better convey what the mall creep really meant.

Probably, yeah. I did find this at the Buzzfeed link

And this one was done by a mom with a Ph.D., who should probably give her Ph.D. back.

… so #notallteens right? It is not clear to me that middle-aged native-born [North] Americans (who I have seen struggle with basic U.S. geography) are going to get things any more correct than their younger counterparts.

On the other side of the talent spectrum is this lovable freak o’ nature, Al Franken:

Wow.

Doesn’t mean many Americans actually understand that.