Sacred cows are skewered in this hilarious satire of Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/23/sacred-cows-are-skewered-in-this-hilarious-satire-of-walt-disneys-wonderful-world-of-color.html

2 Likes

Last time I was on it, the ride stopped when my boat was between rooms, and I got to hear it twice at once, slightly out of sync. Now that’s a torture device. Although I seem unusually sensitive in general to things like singing out of time.

5 Likes

This is probably a lot closer to the truth than I’d like to think it would be.

4 Likes

I first saw Small World at the 1964 World’s Fair (I think we went in 1965.) Picturephones were going to be the next great thing; here it is 45 years later and people are grudgingly making video calls :slight_smile:

I’ve been to Disneyland once, when we went there as a group after a work meeting in LA, saw the Small World ride and did not go on it, nope, not doing that. My wife lived in LA during high school, so she’s been there a bunch of times, but once was really enough for me.

the polite veneer filtering the sexism and ill-advised design concepts (The “It’s a Small World” song should really be a registered torture device) are met head-on.

Based on this description, I was expecting something very different. I watched the pirate ride video first. The polite veneer is still there (uh, that’s not “having sex”), and why is adding more sexist leering than was in the original supposed to be funny?

The “It’s a Small World” video was cute. Still, the takeaway about the song, what happens in the exhibit, and the reason the worker was far behind on the project fell flat. Really missed opportunities by saying nothing about teaching or the stereotypes involved. :unamused:

3 Likes

Was it a boat or a board, a water board… a board and water combined… a boat in the water ride or a waterboard ride. Were you being in a boat ride or being waterboarded.

I can go all night on this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.