Sales of caffeinated wine surge after Catholics denounce Protestant-themed marketing

Originally published at: Sales of caffeinated wine surge after Catholics denounce Protestant-themed marketing | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Fun fact: One of William the Orange’s direct descendants was Lawrence the Arabia.

9 Likes

It’s popular around the Firth the Forth

5 Likes

Funner fact: William III’s invasion of Ireland was supported by the Pope.

9 Likes

We have no idea which football clubs our customers support

That’s some absolute bollocks right there. I’m English and even I fucking know that Celtic == Catholic and Rangers == Protestant.

That said, it does amuse me that a probably-bisexual Dutchman is an icon for religious bigots.

8 Likes

Caffeine mixed with alcohol seems unheard of here in the U.S.

I guess if you’re going to spend a fair bit to get drunk, it can feel like a waste of money to just pass out.

4 Likes

There might be some regulation against it. Four Loko was one, but they removed it.

6 Likes

It was banned in 2010 because of reports of alcohol poisoning and blackouts mostly on college campuses.

Regular alcohol poisoning and blackouts on college campuses doesn’t seem to be a concern.

1 Like

And Hibs and Hearts.

1690, celebrating when King Billy enacting distilling? Surely not for some other reason.

3 Likes

Ah see, I didn’t know about them, but everyone knows about the old firm.

Was vodka and Red Bull never a thing in the US? Uppers and downers mixed together are always…potent.

1 Like

But there are more elegant servings.

3 Likes

Probably was. I meant as a standalone product.

I didn’t know that, but I’ve just finished reading Nancy Goldstone’s excellent books about the tangled geopolitics of 17th and 18th century Europe.

With all the pointless squabbles, shifting alliances, broken treaties, and auctioning of marriageable daughters in that era, the odd alliance of the Pope and William the Third is hardly a blip.

4 Likes

There’s a hilarious scene in T2 Trainspotting, when the lads steal a bunch of ATM cards from the denizens of a Unionist (Protestant) club and clean out their accounts, since almost all the PINs are “1690”.

6 Likes

How many MAGA bank accounts have the PIN 1776, or 6121, or 4547?

2 Likes

Only one way to find out.

1 Like

Don’t forget 1488.

What’s 6121?

2 Likes

How many are some combination of 18 and 88 or something?

3 Likes

January 6, 2021, I assume. What’s 4547, @NukeML ?

3 Likes