Salesforce will pay its workers to leave Texas

Originally published at: Salesforce will pay its workers to leave Texas | Boing Boing

12 Likes

The one star on Texas flag is it’s Yelp rating.

87 Likes

They get money and they get to leave Texas? What’s the catch?

52 Likes

That sounds nice of them, but if they really want to make a difference they should be paying democratic voters to move to Texas.

22 Likes

What a bizarre headline. They’re not “paying people to leave Texas,” they’re supporting relocation for employees that want to leave Texas.

Headline makes it seem like they’re encouraging or incentivizing leaving, which they’re not.

Good move by SF; no need to misrepresent it.

8 Likes

It won’t help. Texas has its own Democratic voters who are consistently ignored and gerrymandered out of existence. And anyone coming into Texas from the coasts will flee back within the year.

The idea that we can change the political character of a state by importing white suburbanite computer programmers always comes up, and it’s asinine even if it isn’t for a state like Texas.

33 Likes

There’s only one vote that matters in Texas, and it belongs to a Mr Gerry Mandering.

24 Likes

I think you are not entirely correct - its made a difference in Georgia. It can in Texas.

11 Likes

Dang. Last week I facetiously suggested that companies would do an evacuation of their female employees from Texas for their safety.

I didn’t really expect any to actually do it.

Props to SalesForce.

36 Likes

Salesforce has a major presence in the Dallas area, and an office in Austin from its acquisition of Tableau. if Benioff was serious, he’d relocate those offices.

22 Likes

Good. Backwards and repressive states that let religious fundies call the tune don’t deserve nice things.

24 Likes

Lol nope. Empowering the Black vote is what made the difference in Georgia.

Source: I live in Georgia and so does most of my family

32 Likes

I’d be much happier if Salesforce was also fighting against Texas’s unconstitional laws and working to empower the left-wing voters here

21 Likes

Such as contributing to Planned Parenthood and Texas Democrat candidates.

17 Likes

onestar

34 Likes

No - you misunderstand, or misrepresent, my claim. I said it is making a difference, not it is responsible for the recent victories. There is a popular movement to move back south from northern cities for purposes of political power.

4 Likes

Like I said, I live in Georgia. There are no affluent white computer programmers here. Not much industry at all, except for protecting the inherited wealth of the white people who already live here.

7 Likes

That neither refutes nor supports the story I relate which does not involve “affluent white computer programers”, but your observations are appreciated.

3 Likes

Honestly, I kind of wish people would stop comparing Texas to Georgia in general. There are some things in common. Namely that the GOP stranglehold could potentially break at some point sooner than later. But there are a lot of differences. Very different economies. Texas has more than twice the population and different demographics, very different cultures, a different climate, and a different role in the US, particularly so as a border state. It’s not that nothing from Georgia is applicable, but it’s also kind of apples to oranges on a lot of issues. We can learn from Georgia for sure, and clearly the GOP has learned to prioritize suppressing black votes from that example, but Texas also has its own problems that need to be addressed. To do that we need all hands on deck, boots on the ground, votes, etc. etc. etc. Still for many people the risks of living here are quickly outweighing the rewards, and it’s a lot to ask that people sacrifice their privilege and suffer for the good of other people… asking people to stay is asking them to sacrifice even the health and lives of their children potentially. But then again so many of these people moving here did so, knowingly or not, to take advantage of the very political climate that is now threatening to “eat their faces” as it were. How many of them are going to want to turn around and fight when they have a chance to run away?

It’s… it’s a sad time for Texas.

31 Likes

Now that SalesForce has made the first move, expect a lot of other companies to suddenly “show their support” and jump on the bandwagon.

You can never trust a corporation to act morally, but you can always trust it to blindly follow a trend.

Sometimes that works out in humanity’s favor. Usually it doesn’t.

22 Likes