Salesforce will pay its workers to leave Texas

And I assure you that that movement is nothing more than people talking shit on the internet. Most of these people have never lived further South and West than Philadelphia, and have no real desire to relocate. Those few who do experience a huge culture shock and move back within a few months.

5 Likes

I’m not sure how to react to your statement. I suggest doing a modicum of research before you make such obtuse and presumptive assertions. Just do something like trying a google search for “reversing great migration”. There is even a wikipedia page about this, recent books, mainstream thinking, and a record of demographic change. Not a handful of “white” activists that will soon give up. My apologies if your comments were not what they appeared to me to be.

1 Like

There has been an uptick of Black migration to the Bible Belt. This isn’t on par with the Great Migration because there’s not enough industry here to drive such a thing. There’s not much industry in the Rust Belt anymore, and the Northeast has always been inhospitable to, basically, anyone who isn’t a WASP, so there’s no reason to stay in these places anymore either.

This migration pattern is more based on religious and cultural identity than it is on politics. It isn’t as jaded as that. The people who say they want to move somewhere just to turn it blue (as opposed to other, more valid, reasons) are almost always shit talkers who don’t have any real plans to do anything. And whenever people talk about gentrification, or about attracting people to a region to turn it blue, they seem to always be talking about white people from affluent backgrounds. Somehow the Black middle class seems to get left out of the discussion :confused:

Besides, this article is about Salesforce, so I just assumed you were talking about IT/software people.

6 Likes

That will completely depend on the level of backlash and/or encouragement SalesForce receives as a result of their move. Fox, of course, will immediately call for it’s “cancellation”. Will the other press cheer them on for their compassion for their workers? or will the other press not pay much attention? That will determine how many other companies follow suit.

How many employees does salesforce have in texas? and how many of them will take up the relocation offer? Every one of those who do will result in several $10,000 lawsuits against salesforce, because many of them will involve either a female employee, or the spouse or parent of a female. So salesforce will be deemed to be aiding a lot of potential future abortions.

4 Likes

Salesforce HQ is in Austin. I’ll go with, a lot. Possibly even most of their employees.

3 Likes

This!

I’m here because I grew up here and have elder family members here that need us as caregivers. Otherwise, there’s not a chance in Hell I’d be back.

One significant difference between Georgia and Texas is that Texas is an extraction economy centered around oil. Think Louisiana, Qatar, or Kuwait rather than Georgia. A bunch of Oil money has bought a bunch of power here for more than 100 years. They keep power by paying off grifters who get to do whatever they want. They literally murder people who get in the way, like my wife’s father and his friend who was going to testify about a well accident.

It’s not that similar awful things haven’t happened in Georgia, it’s just that it’s not global megacorporations with their own gravity doing those awful things.

14 Likes

This is a big deal. Relocation is fucking expensive and stressful. When the company funds it, it’s much less so - especially if you get one of those golden relo packages where you don’t even need to lift a finger and someone packs and unpacks all your shit for you.

I’d love to move somewhere more affordable but the expense and anguish of moving definitely makes me think twice every time.

14 Likes

This is a nice (and albeit expensive) gesture, but I think it is nowhere near enough.

If they truly want to make a difference Salesforce should be pitting their money/influence/ against the dark money interests that are fueling laws like this, not just looking out for their own.

12 Likes

What a bizarre headline. They’re not “paying people to leave Texas,”

If “paying people should they leave Texas” more palatable to your editor??

They are incentivizing. That’s the whole point.

4 Likes

Or Wyoming! The govt should fund some University or Major research park there. One liberal town the size of Ann Arbor MI or Madison WI would net 2 senators.

6 Likes

And the women who work for the company in the meantime should just suck it up in the meantime? :woman_shrugging:

Yes. We do know that they admitted to actively suppressing the vote and how close that was to helping the GOP across the finish line. Federal regulation of elections would help there.

That’s entirely true, but there is a not entirely insignificant white democratic vote in the suburbs now as well that did help. The sixth district has a larger black population than it used to for example, but more democratic voters overall, with the hard right turn of the GOP turning at least some moderate white voters there off. McBath is a relatively middle of the road candidate.

But yes, the Black vote was decisive. But let’s not forget that TX has a large latinx vote which has been increasing in recent years. Appealing to that bloc would be helpful.

I agree, but in the meantime, should women be forced to live in a place that does not give them full autonomy over their bodies if they can move and their employer can help? There are to some degree two different things at play - directly helping their employees who might be put in danger by this law and then making political contributions. It’s not one or the other.

Um. Yes there is? ATL has a massive growth sector for cybersecurity. At least some of those are affluent white men.

Again. That’s not the case. There is a growing cybersecurity industry.

Maybe. But I do think that people like Abrams have created a model that can be exported and tailored to individual cases like Texas, I’d argue…

Again… it’s not quite the case…

https://lawrencemigration.phillipscollection.org/culture/migration-map

There is very much a reverse migration going on and ATL is an epicenter of that.

Again, there very much is.

14 Likes

Absolutely it can and should be both. The “to” in my comment was meant to be a “too”, as in also

3 Likes

Um, no.

From the Salesforce web site:

Worldwide Corporate Headquarters

Salesforce Tower
415 Mission Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105

2 Likes

Huh, guess I was wrong.

Maybe it was a large second office or something. I know they have a large presence in Dallas though.

Indeed. I’ve been reading about how Microsoft is investing huge in ATL right now by building new offices, a data center, and hiring thousands for engineering jobs.

2 Likes

“Growing cybersecurity industry” notwithstanding, Atlanta is hardly Boston, New York, or San Francisco. It isn’t even Chicago. It’s very much small potatoes.

1 Like

That damn tower is visible from my view of the Bay, even over in the East. I wish their HQ was someplace else, trust…

That said at least they made the gesture, however performative; hopefully other companies do follow suit and even try to ‘one up’ each other…

10 Likes

Of course not. I’ve said nor implied any such thing. I am saying the long game is to change the political landscape of texas. Running away from these attacks is what the GOP wants.

It’s unclear if they’re actually paying people to do this, or if they’re offering it as a benefit feature that is subject to compensation taxes. I have a friend who was relo’d for their job in one of these “golden relo” packages where everyone does everything for you, and they were told in advance, “Please note, this is going to add $35,000 to your compensation for this year, so you will be responsible for $35,000 extra dollars in taxable income, you’re going to want to hold out extra from your check, here’s how much.”

So while they’re definitely incentivizing it in the sense of making it easier, this WILL increase people’s taxable income burdens if they take advantage of it. If they move to a state with a state income tax it will be taxed there as well.

3 Likes

The real golden relocation package includes a “gross-up” in pay that makes the income tax effect neutral on the employee.

2 Likes