Salvador Dalí reborn as a deepfake at his museum

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/28/salvador-dali-reborn-as-deepfa.html

6 Likes

I heard deepfake Dali is going to direct a music video for hologram Tupac

9 Likes

Touring on a thumb drive near you?

4 Likes

Warping faces to create a surreal experience? Sounds Dalí to me.

7 Likes

Will they make this cute animated simulacrum talk about Dali’s love for Htiler, Franco, and fascism in general?

3 Likes

I, for one, welcome our melted timepiece egg of sleeping giraffe, walking giraffe, burning giraffe, going forth from womb of beautiful plains of cloudy oatmeal entrails, consuming the zeigtgiest of mustachioed algorithmic overlords.

6 Likes

dali_mustache_eyeballs

16 Likes

To this day there’s a lot of debate about how serious Dali’s admiration for fascism really was. Most of his fellow Surrealists were communists and he liked to get a rise out of needling them on their politics, so their 1934 “trial” that expelled him from the movement wasn’t exactly impartial.

Certainly it’s fair to say that he expressed a lot of ideas in the 1930s that seem profoundly unfunny in a post-Holocaust world.

7 Likes

That’s pretty neat. I wonder if they deepfaked the voice as well based on archival recordings.

2 Likes

It’s fair to say that Dali’s main focus was being constantly outrageous. He figured out very early that his work sold better if he could stay in the headlines, and he definitely liked making money and being the center of attention wherever he went. That being said, I try to separate the artist from the artwork in nearly every case. Picasso was a misogynist asshole, Richard Wagner was, well, Wagner. The list is endless.

Dali’s work is amazing to see in person. Endlessly creative, incredibly well executed, and emotionally evocative. He may have been a narcissistic maniac, but he could really paint.

11 Likes

TIL: there’s a Dali Museum in FLORIDA.

2 Likes

Just the man to let the mainstream be aware of the surreal world of deep fakes!

Wonder if the AI will be able to discuss this, a great work by Dali, and one of my faves: The Hallucinogenic Toreador

1 Like

I’m not convinced that it isn’t a deepfake of his dead brother.

1 Like

Kind of off topic, but this recreation of the meeting between Dali and Alice Cooper from Urban Myths show is really good, especially if you’re familiar with the story. https://dai.ly/x6j03nb

1 Like

This is weird for a second when I saw the video screen capture I thought it was Brady Bunch actor Barry Williams with a mustache.
th

Like I said weird!

I wonder if its faked with fishing line and someone just off frame holding his chair

2 Likes

he (salvador) was mad I tell ya…Mad!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.