Samantha Bee on America's warehouses of untested rape kits

We are talking DNA testing, right? So we probably can estimate the amount using the cost of similar things: 23 and me charges $199 for their analysis. So we are probably talking on the order of $40 million to clear the backlog. The FBI’s 2014 budget was around 8.4 billion. i.e. 210 times larger.

It seems pretty doable to me.

3 Likes

“No, that means having to actually investigate seriously for a bit, plus rich people have enough money to put up a legal fight.”

I guess it’s possible rape is under-reported in that Sheriff’s jurisdiction, given that he clearly doesn’t give a flying fuck about it.

6 Likes

Instead of complaining about the lack of dispassionate analysis on a parody news TV show, you could have done some research and led the discussion yourself.

Never mind. Here’s a start.

Why is there a backlog?
http://www.endthebacklog.org/backlog/why-backlog-exists

Why is it important to test all kits?
http://www.endthebacklog.org/backlog-why-rape-kit-testing-important/why-testing-every-kit-matters

5 Likes

You mean the example from the video of 17,000 kits being tested in New York resulting in 200 prosecutions?

Can you explain how Bayesian analysis is relevant here.

4 Likes

If only there was something you could have done. If. Only.

2 Likes

From your link:

On average, it costs between $1,000 and $1,500 to test one rape kit.

So I guess my estimate is off by a factor of 5 to 7.5.

1 Like

You know, I read your post, and I immediately thought there would be a big administrative burden on top of the wholesale lab costs.

The point made on that website, and I find it very convincing, is that it is a matter of prioritisation for the jurisdiction, and those jurisdictions such as New York that have made testing a priority have seen a tangible impact in arrests of offenders.

I mean, you want your law enforcement budget spent on getting rapists in jail, right?

4 Likes

And if law enforcement announced they were going to make an effort to test these kits, you might get some additional testing labs offering their services in hopes of a slice of that $40 million dollar pie. The price would probably still remain in the $40 million dollar range, even with the additional competition pushing prices down somewhat and potential volume discounts, because the government would still be involved and so the savings would be counterbalanced by the bureaucracy, but it might push commercial prices for DNA testing services down from $199.

1 Like

Why is that aimed at Mindy? I are confuse.

1 Like

Looks like some sort of mis-quote.

1 Like

Kits should generally be tested even if the victim recants because the evidence may be relevant to subsequent offenses by a serial offender. Potential oportunities to use pattern evidence can be lost if kits are not routinely and promptly tested.

4 Likes

Okay… I totes didn’t say that? Why does it have you replying to my J-Law slurping derisively?

1 Like

I’m as baffled as you.

I figured… weird.

It happens sometimes when responding to a post further down in a thread of responses. I can’t remember off the top of my head what causes it. I think @codinghorror spoke to the issue at one point.

1. Expand in reply to at top of a post

2. Quote the expanded post, not the original post. By highlighting words in it.

3. Quote will be incorrectly attributed to the post you expanded from, not the post you quoted.

I though we fixed that @sam? Or was it only for bottom expansions not top? Maybe it regressed in the vdom rewrite @eviltrout?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

FYI we just fixed this sorry cc @tropo @anon50609448

5 Likes