San Francisco restaurant apologizes for kicking out armed cops who made staff "uncomfortable"

“Rules for thee, but none for me;” as it always is with those fascists.

11 Likes

If a call comes in that they are in a psotion to respond to they leave the table and respond.

Remember, as much as cops are hated at this point in time, they actually do run towards the danger, usually on or off duty.

1 Like

They’re not required to eat in restaurants. Allow restaurants to keep guns out doesn’t mean police officers will go hungry. Police are violent. They are agents of violence for the state.

The response from police should be less about trying to bully their way into places that don’t want them and more about addressing why people are afraid of them.

8 Likes

They sometimes run towards confusion and bring the danger with them.

4 Likes

Sometimes is the key word.

1 Like

“I was concerned for my safety”

From a Cop about a person => unapologetic reason execute a Person
From a Person about a Cop => must apologize to Cop or risk execution

Seems Right(wing)

12 Likes

“Cops. . . run towards danger.” No, no they do not. I worked in EMS back in my teenage days, and the cops, at fires and accidents, were always the last to approach the danger zone, the first to leave, and who would always hang back as firemen and EMTs dealt with the issue. Every. Cowardly. Time.

14 Likes

“We respect the Corleone family and are grateful for the work they do,” read a since-deleted post on Instagram. “This is not a political statement, we did what we thought was best for our staff.”

5 Likes

It’s a shame they’ve been harassed into an apology. They did nothing wrong, they were just thinking of their customers. I’d be uncomfortable too. The cops can get takeout, there should be no obligation for everyone else to feel fine sitting next to a bunch of heavily armed people who are well known for being able to murder without consequence.

7 Likes

Not what happened at the school shooting in Michigan but sure, every time.

1 Like

Because it came up:

Not everyone is familiar with Discourse and how clicking one “reply” button will reply to the last post but another will reply to the topic. Lets not get all meta about it here, please.

6 Likes

I, as an SF resident, find the entire thing absurd.

I suspect the “we ban all weapons” narrative was arrived at AFTER the cops were asked to leave, because the owners knew how much the server / manager screwed up.

I get that SFPD doesn’t always have the best rep when it comes to handling people of color, but it has come a long way for the past decade. Beat officers are supposed to walk their beat, say hi to business owners, have lunch or dinner, and generally be nice and build community rapport. Discount not required but appreciated. Having such thrown back in their faces is… annoying.

2 Likes

I worked in a motorcycle shop for a long time. Cops would definitely just hang out in there all day.

I once spoke with a police chief and he told us his officers are absolutely not allowed to take discounts while on duty, because of the potential impropriety and the implied quid pro quo for prioritized protection.

8 Likes

Didn’t this also happen in Portland within the last few years? A coffee shop asked the on duty cop to leave because it was a little anarchist shop, and he was making people feel unsafe, then the cops went on a PR blitz about being refused service.

I don’t remember the Oregon shop apologizing, but I do have a hazy recall of the cops really playing up the “we just wanted coffee” card.

It made me think of the 80s when I was part of a group that put on punk shows in my little town. The cops would show up, be nice and take pictures with some of our show patrons to get accurate heights, and generally used our shows as a way to gain info on the customers. We could not kick them out, because then they would have shut us down.

6 Likes

Cops did all the ‘painting’ themselves:

15 Likes

Truth. This cuts to the heart of the whole situation. Pack pepper spray, batons, and tasers…

3 Likes

I’m reminded of the scene in the wonderful show Tuca and Bertie where the naïve intern at the bakery rings up a cop’s order, and immediately everyone gasps in shock while the cop’s hand silently moves toward his firearm. The more seasoned staffer sputters out a “Just kidding!!!,” shove the bag of bakery in his hand, and sends him on his way.

5 Likes

Pack a working knowledge on how to actually de-escalate a situation non-violently, too.

THIS. Fuck those pigs.

1 Like

13 Likes