San Francisco Sheriff's Deputy ring accused of pit-fighting inmates

[Permalink]

1 Like

Cases like this give me the impression that the problem with America’s love of the death penalty isn’t its use; but its allocation…

1 Like

Threats of rape… what is it about our prison system? Why is rape ignored and an accepted result of being in prison.

I’m actually kind of surprised that some clever lawyer hasn’t gotten a sentence commuted by arguing that there will be rape in prison which is a violation of the eighth amendment.

7 Likes

Here’s a question that’s bothered me for a while: Why is there a San Francisco Sheriff’s Department? When you drive into The City the sign says you’re entering the City and County of San Francisco. There is no part of San Francisco County that is not also the city of San Francisco. So, we have the SFPD and SF Sheriff covering exactly the same territory. It seems like one or the other is redundant.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the Sheriff’s Department runs the jail facilities, same where I live in San Diego. The County Jail is downtown and they police the smaller municipalities that don’t have their own department, or are “unincorporated” places in the county.
Edit - so all that’s leftover from when there used to be places for the Sheriff to do stuff in San Francisco County is run the place where they fight people like animals.
Then again, people watch MMA as if that’s a sport in the USA, so this is not that shocking.

MMA fighters typically give uncoerced consent to fight, so yeah, this is still pretty shocking

1 Like

I’m thinking more along the lines of cheering/slobbering mouth-breathers that watch said fights…

I don’t watch MMA, but I know several people who do. While some of them may fall into the “slobbering mouth-breathers” category, many of them are not. Several of them are in martial arts themselves, and view MMA the same way they’d view a tournament within their own discipline; they watch it for the technical aspects, not to see someone get hurt.

These deputies, on the other hand, were absolutely doing it to cause pain and suffering, and got a kick out of seeing pain and suffering.

I don’t disagree with you at all.
Though I think the percentage of people that get off watching MMA fights for the brutality is pretty high. Even among those that try to say that it isn’t. I mean, it’s a fight. Two guys beating the shit out of each other.

[quote=“TheRizz, post:8, topic:54431”]
Several of them are in martial arts themselves, and view MMA the same way they’d view a tournament within their own discipline; they watch it for the technical aspects, not to see someone get hurt.
[/quote]I dunno… that kind of pictures it like this:

But, I think it tends to be more like this:

My brother-in-law moved from San Francisco to the other side of the country because SF was too progressive for him. I think he may have left too soon.

I think the problem is that the defenders dread setting the opposite precedent. Picture a government prosecutor entering into evidence all the pop-cultural references to prison rape, and arguing that prison rape is “usual” and therefore permitted under the Eighth Amendment. In particular, picture this happening in state court rather than federal, in a state where judges are elected, and the judge at the trial can’t appear to be “soft on crime” by disallowing the evidence as irrelevant to the case at hand.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.