San Mateo County Sheriff's "BatMobile raid" goes unpunished

Originally published at: San Mateo County Sheriff's "BatMobile raid" goes unpunished | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This certainly doesn’t sound like the kind of citizen who should be entrusted with a Batmobile.

24 Likes

so the San Mateo County Board thinks it is ok to send law enforcement to resolve civil disputes. noted.

16 Likes

send out of state.

20 Likes

I’m surprised the maker is still planning to create a Batmobile replica for the person who caused his business to be raided. I would have cancelled the order immediately, refunded the money, and checked with a lawyer to determine if I would have a good chance of winning a civil case for the damage to my business (which they could use the money they would have spent on the Batmobile to pay.)

14 Likes

On the one hand, how many replicar Batmobile customers can you afford to piss off, no matter how deservedly?

On the other hand, if I were that customer, first thing on delivery is I’d make sure the warp core ejection mechanism is there and functional.

4 Likes

At the very least, I wonder if there is anything the local Chamber of Commerce or other organization Anagnastou is part of can do anything about? You can’t just go around pulling shit like this in everyday business, can you?

1 Like

It’s entirely possible that the person running the business just doesn’t have time (or additional money) to lawyer up and go after what is effectively city hall in a different state over it, and just wants to get on with their life.

2 Likes

huh-what

9 Likes

If I were the car builder, I’d make sure the ejection seat was functional and that the remote control works.

Then tell the customer exactly that.

1 Like

Every aspect of this story is absurd and wrong but … adult men spending > $100k… for a Batmobile? I looked on Hemmings.com and they have two Batmobiles for sale, in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I mean… yeah, I liked Batman when I was about 10 but … wow. The ones on Hemmings aren’t even street legal. All they can do is sit in a garage.

2 Likes
3 Likes

But “He did it for a friend” belive it or not even if the sheriff was reprimanded for this it probably boosted hid popularity in San Mateo County.

We had a politician way back in the 1900s who rode that particular slogan to staggering political heights.
His name: James Michael Curley

1 Like

Mayor of Boston is “staggering political heights”? :thinking: Or I guess governor of MA?

2 Likes

It is if you live in Boston. Especially the 4 terms part which was well after “He did it for a friend”.

1 Like

I mean… maybe? Certainly, the mayors of major metros can become influential… but probably the fortunes of MA politicians rose in stature after Kennedy was elected in 1960…

2 Likes

James Michael Curley was so popular after that “friend” incident he got elected while he was in jail. That’s got to be a country-wide record.

1 Like

Maybe, but Eugene Debs did get a million votes while in prison… obviously, not enough to get elected, but still…

1 Like

He should have never split from The Wobblies.

1 Like

tv land GIF by YoungerTV

2 Likes