Sandra Bland arrest video appears to have been edited

Yes. The right (including whichever fuckwit made this image) has had a lot of target practice by now, trying to make “arrogant” stick to Obama. His blackness has everything to do with that.

Or, the other option, a subdural hematoma… which could have led to breathing problems much later if untreated and potentially asphyxiation. Then covered up via hanging (as has been reported…). Obviously this is speculation at this point, and a FULL autopsy needs to be done, but this is also another plausible scenario.

3 Likes

I have sassed cops far worse than Bland did, and look at me, being all alive and white and stuff.

4 Likes

It sounds like the cop “sniffed” something might be wrong (“if you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide” kind of thought), so he started pushing for a reason to take her in.

Too bad, because on the previous stop on the full video it seems he was being really nice and polite. It doesn’t seem like he acted on malice and wanted to abuse authority, but relied too much on his “cop sense”.

To demonstrate, I pulled footage from my own dashcam and posted it to YouTube. You’ll see the video stitch at 3:00. It’s not as obvious as the loops in the raw dashcam footage of the arrest of Sandra Bland, but it’s there. The only way to get rid of these looping glitches would be through editing.

1 Like

l just leave this here.

“I know fucking well I’m not guilty! You asshole!”

“Can I explain it to you, sir?”

White male privilege in action.

2 Likes

Yeah, but the world isn’t fair or just, which is what @quorihunter was correctly pointing out.

A woman has the right to walk alone in the dead of night while scantily clad through a seedy crime-ridden neighborhood along a sidewalk flanked by dark alleys on one side and windowless vans on the other.

Wow, world not fair, so insight! Such news!

Also: you’re just plain wrong. That’s not what @quorihunter was pointing out.

1 Like

I went back to Boston recently after 35 years on the west coast and … yeah, I’d forgotten that in Boston, lane lines are merely suggestions.

2 Likes

You can bet your ass if she had behaved like a “model person” and been sweet as pie the whole time and this still happened, the cops would have dug something up to make it sound like it was her fault anyway. He would have “thought he saw a weapon” or “overheard her making threats” that didn’t come through on the audio.

6 Likes

Holy shit. Cops need to watch this video and learn how to be calm and not escalate a situation with an angry person, and drivers need to watch this person and learn how to be white, I guess.

1 Like

For fuck’s sake, he’s the one who said, “Are you OK? You seem upset.” He specifically instructed her to tell him how she felt. And then he dragged her off to die in a dungeon because he didn’t like the answer. What the fucking fuck.

6 Likes

Parts of Jersey too–the bizarre roads in the back of beyond with the crazy U-turns (for anyone who’s had the misfortune of driving in Jersey). The police are insane there, and color blind as far as I could tell. I would go a long way out of my way to avoid that place.

1 Like

I wrote it because your posts suggest you weren’t aware. My apologies if that’s not the case and I was, uh, just plain wrong about your understanding of reality.

The problem is, the world isn’t fair.

If this girl were white, or this girl had texas plates, she wouldn’t have been treated this way. Period. Thousands of traffic stops happen every day, and police run into all kinds of upset people all the time. They’re trained to deescalate the situation. Sandra Bland was not trained to handle high pressure situations with armed law enforcement on the other side of the country, and the default “respect them because they have a gun and can make your life hell” is an absolutely awful excuse.

Absolutely every part of this video was in control of the cop, from the “put your cigarette out” to the “I light you up.” He was in control the whole time, and instead of doing his job and issuing her a ticket for a MENIAL $20 (Plus court costs) traffic violation, he just COULD NOT LET this black woman from Chicago disrespect his authority.

Any other viewpoint of this is just blaming the victim for not knowing she had the cop that’d escalate the situation instead of calm it down.

7 Likes

I like that you’ve said this to convey an implicit “… but if she does it’s no surprise (and maybe her fault!) something happens” rather than as a challenge for us all to provide a world in which someone of any sex wearing any amount of clothing can take a midnight walk through a seedy crime-ridden neighbourhood flanked by dark alleys and windowless vans without expecting sexual violence as if it were the same kind of natural law as gravity.

5 Likes

Yes, we have those, too. We call them Michigan Left Turns.

2 Likes

Oh no, here you go right to go left.

2 Likes

Mod note: No victim blaming.

8 Likes