Santa and gun-toting elf arrest alleged carjacker

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/14/santa-and-gun-toting-elf-arrest-alleged-carjacker.html

3 Likes

Oh damn, that guy’s on the naughty list for sure.

11 Likes

You may want to update that headline and description. The news article clearly describes an attempted car theft which is not the same as a carjacking. Carjacking is a much more serious crime that involves taking the car directly from its driver using force, violence or the threat thereof. Stealing an unoccupied vehicle is simple property theft.

8 Likes

BTW: I know that part of B’klyn well. My grandparent’s building was on the lot shown near the end. (When we saw TFC in a NYC theater for the first time, the audience was gasping with recognition and cheering to several locations shown.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Stalin: has Beria.

Santa: has Krampus.

5 Likes

“Hot Wheels” takes on a whole new meaning!

4 Likes

Sign of the times: I’m almost beside myself with joy, to see police a) doing their fucking jobs, and b) arresting white criminals, although sadly, there’s no trend of such.

As if David Sedaris hasn’t earned himself enough bad press lately, he goes and does a completely unnecessary, grimdark reboot of Santaland Diaries.

2 Likes

:question:

4 Likes

Empire state of mind.

“Santa Claus
Breaks in your house at night
He must be a dope fiend
To put you uptight…
…What’s in that pipe that he’s smoking?”
–A.Guthrie

Saint Nicholas was a Roman Christian priest and an ancestor of the Tsars
Stalin was like a Tsar, but he would have done better by being a priest.

4 Likes

I’m talking about the scene in The French Connection (Santa chasing culprit).

3 Likes

Oh.

Thanks; I was genuinely confused.

*sheepishly admits “I have never seen that film.”

3 Likes

It’s noted as groundbreaking at the time (1971) since it was anti-Hollywood in its rendition of ‘cops/robbers’ and it used ‘raw’ locations known by many in Williamsburg and Bushwick sections of Brooklyn. (I spotted three locations that I knew very well.) It had a verisimilitude (finally got to use that word!) that captured audiences. You may do well to pass on it though. The main cop character (Popeye Doyle) is played by Gene Hackman who had a hard time getting into the part since Doyle is based on an actual cop named Eddie Egan — a flaming unapologetic racist – who hung around the sets while filming went on. Hackman couldn’t stand Egan. Hackman is known as a very serious actor and needed to get into a despicable character he had the misfortune to have to see in real life and experience every day on sets. Hackman ended up downplaying the real Egan in order to play him.

4 Likes

Wasn’t the movie supposed to have the longest continuous car chase scene in cinema history, IIRC?

2 Likes

That does sound familiar; if not the longest, then one of the best ever. One definite thing I can say about it is that the director Friedkin claimed he was not given permission from the city to do that scene. They just filmed it hoping the car wouldn’t slam into anything or anyone. The one scene set up for the chase was the woman with the baby carriage.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.