SantaCon leads to drunken vandalism

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/11/santacon-leads-to-drunken-vand.html

3 Likes

I kinda thought Santacon had jumped the shark years ago.
Also just a Santa hat? That’s just lame.

13 Likes

The drunk Santas were quite civilized in Tucson. Perhaps these big-city Santas need to learn some manners.

Put coal in all their stockings!

6 Likes

13 Likes

When the founders split and it moved from art collective wassailing to dude bro pub crawl. And it’s like franchising. There’s now Lepre-con for St Pat’s and like Bunny-con for Easter. I even saw a Kwanzaa-con. Bunch of white kids getting publicly intoxicated for Kwanzaa. Classy.

They definitely seem to have worn out their welcome. NYC the common practice is for bars to refuse participants service, if not turn away everyone wearing a Santa hat or Christmas sweater on the day in question. “No Santas” signs are increasingly common. And non participants generally refuse to go out during Santacon. So it’s overall pretty bad for buisiness. And it seems like the big popular ones are pushing further and further into the suburbs these days.

6 Likes

As with many aspects of American life, standards have fallen precipitously in a short time for SantaCon.

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj-Vff5HPhc

Sing it Santas

1 Like

Shalimar is smack in the Tenderloin, too, SF’s answer to Skid Row. They do okay with the tweakers and mentally ill but were brought low by drunk, entitled middle class white people.

5 Likes

This will all be resolved when Krampus drags them back to his subterranean lair.

3 Likes

I dunno man. I was talking to a Hungarian friend about Krampuslauf and she basically described it in the same terms as we do Santacon. A bunch of drunken assholes in costumes. And mostly an excuse for older men to sexually assault teenagers.

So Krampus might well be into it.

I’d love to see something like a Krampuslauf near me. But given that. And how Santacon has gone given that Krampus runs are part of what inspired it. I dunno that I have the faith in humanity.

1 Like

In one of them, a female suspect throws napkins at an employee.
That’s a light day in the service industry, really.

2 Likes

1 Like

Reno’s SantaCon is huge, but i don’t recall anything like this every happening. i know people who attend the SF one every year. i guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

FWIW, Danger Ranger has apologized many, many times for starting SantaCon.

2 Likes

If napkins we’re the worst thing thrown at me I might not have spent more than a decade desperately trying to get out of the service industry. Desperately avoiding going back. Then desperately trying to get out again.

3 Likes

Ocasio-Cortez came up with a nice counter-event:

6 Likes

The coastal city version of heartland sports riots.

Combines two things I hate: Santa Clause and drunk entitled middle-class white assholes. Hope they get doxxed and lose whatever jobs they have.

Marcus Skidmore had it right…

3 Likes

But… but… even Bad Santa?

(Damn your stealth edits…)

3 Likes

Willie T. Soke gets a pass because he owns it. He’s the Rick Sanchez of Santas.

2 Likes