Sarah Palin complains about being pranked by Sacha Baron Cohen

Their constituents (voters) ARE the testers. Like I’ve said a few times before: Education, education, education.

Chris Morris (“Brass Eye” and especially “Cake”) for one. But yeah, not many.

I’ll check him out. Meanwhile, in sum, that makes two.

Am I just naive to think that most of Cohen’s characters are too obvious in their absurdity not to be noticed as nothing but a prank? I have to wonder how desperate someone has to be to talk to someone who clearly acts or behaves like a flake whether it’s his Borat character or Ali G or Bruno or whatever. It’s just obvious what’s going on, no one should be that ignorant as to not notice someone pulling their leg.

1 Like

I think what makes this so uncomfortable is that it’s the comedian making others behave like buffoons instead of himself being the buffoon. I naturally cringe at that, as it does seem mean, like a street mime mocking people walking by.

Then I see his clip with Bernie Sanders, where SBC’s character is the buffoon and Sanders isn’t falling for it and realise that the problem is that people like Palin are that stupid all the time, so dumb that even a clown in prosthetics looks reasonable by comparison. At least the clown is in on the joke.

People that desperate for attention who’ve had experience with the media-industrial complex know it’s full of weirdos and grotesques (remember the host of the reality show “The Apprentice”? What a crazy-looking and nutty-sounding dude). That’s why they’re able to blind themselves to what’s so clear to most of us.

3 Likes

As I understand it (still haven’t watched the videos, so I could be offbase) the shtick is not about getting agreement that people should be taught to understand modern weapons from an early age, it’s about getting influential idiots to agree with the idea that children should be armed.

Children have been taught to use guns since they were invented, for common sense safety reasons. Education is a social good. But arming children is a totally different proposition, mostly only popular with religious fanatics.

1 Like

You must clarify. You say pos and I think Palin… Then I think no he means Cohen…
In the end I guess pos is a pos.

1 Like

Well, If I were being pranked I would have read the copy and say “Are you fucking kidding me?”

Yes but this is exactly where I see the greatness in SBC’s comedy. Bernie obviously passed the acid test, which enforces his derisory (self-)depiction of republicans. That’s beyond smart.

I know, on the other side, that many people are generally uncomfortable about other people being trapped and made fun of. I have no issue with that, although I personally enjoy seeing people who are usually so self-assured being lured out of their comfort zone.

2 Likes

“There’s no such thing as bad press”. Which isn’t an iron-clad rule, just ask Papa John, but instead is a general guideline that can be a good thing in the right circumstance.

With Palin, her name is now back in news thanks to Cohen, even though she’s likely going to look like a clown, but never less she gets the attention, and allows her to continue with monetizing her celebrity status. Probably will try to capitalize on being a victim, how the evil liburs are doing what they can to discredit a wholesome, “god-fearing christian” woman like her.

Quote: “Is he driving an already polarized country farther apart?”

No, I think reality is driving us apart, because you can’t expect someone who believes in their own made up self-serving universe to agree with those of us living in the real world where facts actually prove stuff. There is a clinical name for people who see hidden conspiracies everywhere.

1 Like

“Joe Walsh making similar complaints about being tricked into supporting the proposal to give guns to preschoolers”

A Modest Proposal 2.0

1 Like

Exactly. Sanders was strong. He never agreed to anything crazy and flat out said he had no idea what Cohen was even talking about. He wasn’t tricked in to saying anything he didn’t believe and neither was anyone else on the show.

3 Likes

It’s actually really low hanging fruit. Gun handling and shooting used to be more casual like 50 years ago, every kid got a 22 rifle and schools even had gun shooting clubs. Goading a pro-gun Republican down the direction Cohen did was masterful trolling but not a stretch.

I agree with victims being the right word here.

SBC humiliating unsuspecting (and very hospitable friendly) romanian villagers and not even paying them for it. A-OK

But posing as a veteran in a goddamn wheelchair, oh noes, that’s crossing a line!.

SBC is a ruthless guy with questionable ethics, but these american politicians can’t really complain about it without being even more hypocritical it seems.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.