'Sassy Trump' by Peter Serafinowicz: 'What Do You Have To Lose?' edition

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/23/sassy-trump-by-peter-seraf.html

To many Republicans, “African Americans” are a vague concept. They have no first-hand interaction with them.

What Trump says is basically a more polished version of the same sentiment Cliven Bundy expressed a couple of years ago:

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” he said. Mr. Bundy recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he asked. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”

6 Likes

I’ve been so-so on these so far but that ending was glorious.

5 Likes

Where in this speech is Trump blaming African Americans for being the architects of their own misery? - a line popular with liberals and conservatives - he doesn’t tell them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, be better fathers, or stop listening to rap etc. Trump can talk left and blame elites - as he seems to do here as well as spouting the usual racist demagoguery.

I find most of Trumps comments repulsive and see him as a dangerous clown, but giving him a camp voice just doesn’t cut it imo.

I didn’t see anybody say or imply those things about Trump, except you. Now what do you call it when you make up things for your opponent to say, and then prove how wrong those things are?

I think the thing that stands out about this speech isn’t “architects of their own misery”. It’s that he was explaining what black people should do to an audience with no black people. This is how he “reaches out” to the black community - by talking about them in a white, upscale suburb.

5 Likes

Don’t worry, in Trumpistan things will become just like the area I’m in now - Greenwich, England - where people of all colours are living together in an upmarket suburb.
(Do not hold your breath waiting for it though.)

2 Likes

Q: What do you have to lose?
A: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness / property.

5 Likes

Maybe the saddest thing is that Clinton’s policies don’t promise much of anything better for the cities he’s talking about. You know, for instance, that despite her hedged claims, she’s itching to get the TPP passed.

2 Likes

See the first comment from TheGreatParis.

She keeps saying she won’t pass it “as it is”… Which means, they’ll make some cosmetic changes, and ram it through.

1 Like

Bingo!

1 Like

Unless of course Obama manages to get it through during the lame duck… I think it depends on how much GOP support he can drum up before January 20th.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.