Satanic Temple required protesters to pledge their souls to Satan as condition of entry

Anyone who would sign something like this, even in jest, only reflects their ignorance. Faith in no God requires just as much faith as faith in God. We don’t have all the answers of this universe. Don’t pretend you do.

There’s no such thing as “Faith in no God”.
You don’t require ‘faith in no fairies/elves/pixies/…’ do you?
Faith requires a belief, not a lack of it.

16 Likes

If you are foolish enough to define a god, I can prove it doesn’t do anything different than you’d expect if there were no god altogether.

To say atheism requires faith is an insult to my intelligence.

It’s the religious making claims about the existence of gods. Writing them off until they can offer any evidence isn’t faith. It’s in fact reason. Don’t call your faith the same thing as reason. My position at least makes logical sense.

10 Likes

That’s why it is called Hell.

Not taking something seriously does not necessarily mean being ignorant of it.

11 Likes

I think you’re also conflating some figures, and it’s a bit more complicated like that. Satan and ‘the devil’ aren’t one and the same, at least in the Bible. Satan (especially in Jewish tradition and in the OT) is an angel (not ‘fallen,’ no matter how much Milton fanfic you’ve read) who essentially serves as a prosecuting attorney, putting people’s faith to the test. ‘The devil’ can be applied to any number of nasty entities, some anthropomorphic, some just vaguely articulated ‘spirits’ that could be anything from schizophrenia to a stomach ache. And, hell, even in the OT, ‘Satan’ (or ha-shaitan) gets used as a vague title (essentially meaning “the accuser”) that might be applied to various entities both earthly and supernatural (and whether it gets translated as “an accuser” “Satan” or “the Devil” is largely down to the caprice of the translator…).

Of course, the real answer is these guys know the religious-types they’re baiting know fuck-all about their own professed faith or the terminology in question, so they can be just as vague as the rubes they are targeting…

9 Likes

But “devil” is derived from Greek diabolos, “accuser”, which is used in the Septuagint to translate the Hebrew śāṭān.

1 Like

And “Baphomet” is an Old French form of “Mohammed”.

1 Like

I realise that it fractures deeper, mine was a simplified explanation, even for the Jesus Chrispies.

3 Likes

That’s true. It’s a bit like how ‘Sheol’ (which just means ‘grave’) in the
OT was translated as ‘Hades’ in the Greek, which led to centuries of
Christians thinking their religion included the concept of an insane
torture-dungeon (ironically, the English word ‘Hell,’ which has contributed
further to this harmful myth, is closer in actual meaning to ‘Sheol’ than
to ‘Hades’ - ‘hell’ used to just be the word for a potato cellar
underground).

Words with the same or similar meanings accrue new meanings through
connotation rather than denotation in translation, and, combined with
Christianity being willing to syncretically absorb all kinds on Pagan
practice and terminology in its expansion as a ‘universal’ religion, has
led to some very wild word-creep.

4 Likes

No worries. I didn’t intend to be a pedantic corrective, so much as to
agree and further your point about just how simplistic and stupid the
average Evangelical’s (and, TBO, the average critic of Evangelicals)
understanding of their supposed religion and its source texts is.

1 Like

I’ve always thought that I could be wrong on so many things and it would be okay. Honestly, if I’m on my deathbed and suddenly it all becomes clear that a flat tax is a good idea and not basically evil… whatever. However, if I’m wrong about God/Heaven not existing… well I’m fucked.

1 Like

Odd. I see no mention of D. Trump in your list of devils, sub-devils and other minion-types (and not the godamned yellow vibrator-looking ones of recent movies).

3 Likes

There are at least two religions with mutually exclusive requirements that doom all their non-adherents to eternal damnation.

Regardless what you believe in, you’ll go to a hell.

4 Likes

So what you are really saying is… When I dig my cellar I should put up a hand stiched sign that reads Welcome to Hell!

4 Likes

Whatever you call him/her, at the end of the day sHe is just another poor schlub trying to get by…

4 Likes

Ooh, ooh, and I’m not making this up. After I get my Orchid greenhouse finished it will have a sign that reads Welcome tothe Jungle!

What should my shop say?

1 Like

You might be interested in reading up on

3 Likes

Well yes, as his name implies. …

Part of what’s fun about this is that if you are…an…er…“orthodox” member of the Satanic Temple, you follow principles of belief that mean that this piece of paper is meaningless. But if you’re an idiot, it has all sorts of meaning.

Damn, I cannot buy enough swag to support what these amazing geniuses are doing.

9 Likes