Satanists offer "good taste" monument to complement Oklahoma Capitol's Ten Commandments monument

So why oh why do so called Christians use as their symbol something that is firmly entrenched in the rabbinic tradition & not a christian one? From memory Christ was the new covenant, I think Matthew 22:40 says there are only 2 laws you need to follow, love god, love your neighbour as yourself. On these two laws the whole law depends. So why not the message of love and peace. Oh yeah the fire, anger and brimstone.

I have so little respect for these pretend christians, who are so stupid as to shoot themselves in the foot.

Why not the satanist 10 commandments, I bet they are no better or worse as a set of rules. Then again I am an atheist, what would I know about such stupidity.

2 Likes

They can also build a tasteful fountain with Lucifer on top

you know, like the one that is in Madrid, Spain.

2 Likes

If you go in to Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, next to the Council House, the first thing you see is a massive golden statue of Lucifer by Epstein. It always tickles me.

1 Like

Although this is probably not what they have in mind, might I still submit a suggestion for the direction of the design?

6 Likes

Indeed. Plus I have confidence they would pick a genuinely tasteful depiction of lucifer, hopefully with a quote from Milton at the base or something.

Plus if one wishes to get nitpicky and go on about how the commandments were God’s law and so all it is depicting is the core laws that the founding fathers venerated one could make the argument that because lucifer was God’s prosecutor in the old testament then he has just as much reason to be at court as moses’s law.

1 Like

Do you really care why? It’s because the flap started over a plaque in a courthouse. It’s traditional in some places to display the 10 Commandments in a courtroom, not because Jesus, but because it declares that laws come from God, and therefore the court is engaged in business of eschatological importance.

If that meant police and judges were always honest and impartial, I would say heck, let them have twenty Commandments.

3 Likes

You know that Al Jazeera is a news broadcaster, right?

1 Like

Yup, that is why I posted, otherwise why would I even bother? Tradition!? Oh well then lets use tradition to influence the court eh, even if it’s just a minuscule amount, let’s make sure that everyone knows that god is a vengeful, in his retribution. What a wonderful example that serves to both the court and it’s peers.

No you’ve missed the point, the point is about correctness, fact (if you can call it that). Imbeciles that can’t even get their own belief system right, In fact can’t even take the advice of your own founding fathers. Yet they will run and hide behind both the constitution and the bible when it suits them.

Except this time, this time they’ve open a can of worms that even their courts, with their laws handed down directly from god, apparently, won’t be able to deal with. Nope the constitution quite clearly states that the Satanist, Wicca, Jews, Zoroastrians, Hindu, Muslims, Scientology may too have a plaque of their own. You know to remind the judges & police to do the job they should be doing.

Is the only way of contesting people who raise monuments on state or public property to mark their particular faith is to find another faith to pit against theirs?

According to the American Religious Identification Survey in 2008, the number of people who claim no specific religious belief was 34 million, 15 percent of the U.S. adult population. A survey by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life conducted in 2008 yielded similar numbers. I suspect the numbers may be higher still. However, some people (not the founding fathers) have decided America must be a faith-based nation, and there is to be no equivalent freedom of non-faith for these people. The best they can do is to adopt an opposing faith, and try and get them to fight.

Ingenious. And it might do the job. But it still doesn’t seem quite ‘right’ to me.

Somehow I missed that part of the text.

May, not must.

All statues are lickable, surely? Obviously, some may only be lickable in season, depending on the location

2 Likes

Ok wrong wording
 implies, quite clearly.

Well I use one faith to balance another as opposed to an athiest/non faith oriented monument so there’s not cries of persicution or ‘godlessness’ etc etc. These arguments would also highlight the fact a faith is being favored, but in my view better to use one faith as counter-point than to have to deal with athiesm vs faith as a generality.

1 Like

The devil is depicted as leaning against the Washington State Capitol building instead of the Oklahoma State Capitol building. Both look similar. The picture used in this article coincidentally couples Satan with Persephone “Queen of Hades” who rests on the top of the Washington State Capitol building.

Just nitpicking.

1 Like

100-ft fibreglass & neon statue of Anton LaVey with a brace of bikini-ed nuns? Or do we save that for Florida’s Capitol building?

3 Likes

Why bikinis when they could be totally nude?

2 Likes

then how would you know they were nuns?

4 Likes

Wimples.

2 Likes

I know that, you know that, crenquis almost certainly knows it.

As a resident of the state in question, I can guess that the Representative who hung up on the request for a telephone interview had the following thought process go through (what passes for) his mind.

“Al Jazeera? That sounds Arabic! I’ll bet they’re Muslims! Muslims are all terrorists! And if they’re not actually Satanists themselves, they’re certainly sympathetic.”

Remember, this was the state where an initiative actually made it to the ballot declaring that Sharia law may NOT be considered as legal precedent for any ruling by a judge. Sharia was the ONLY religious legal tradition named in the initiative.

2 Likes