Satisfying machine aligns nails with magnets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/25/satisfying-machine-aligns-nails-with-magnets.html

6 Likes

I see your YouTube algorithm and mine are suggesting similar videos.

Then again I viewed BoingBoing’s nail shaking post titled One mundane trick to organize nails

Source: Video found via YouTube via BoingBoing, One mundane trick to organize nails, Rob Beschizza ,2020 03 02; clip originally posted on YouTube by same on 2020 04 21

This or a similar video was recommended to me some time ago.

Source: YouTube video titled Magnetic paralleled packing machine, posted by Scottie Lin on 2014 02 13

Seriously why are algorithms pushing nail sorting my, perhaps our, way.

9 Likes

So which Final Destination movie is this from?

Bah! I see your magnets and raise you a simple vibratory sorter/feeder.

2 Likes

SORCERY!

(Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence? - Yes. Yes it is.)

3 Likes

UNACCEPTABLE

13 Likes

Honestly, many people, engineers included, feel that vibratory feeders are black magic.

9 Likes

Fucking magnets, how do they work?

7 Likes

Ha! serves you right. Lets see you take away that machines vacation time or productivity bonus now! You are screwed management.

2 Likes

I actually came to it from a different direction, but I have learned over the years that Happy Mutants like sorting mechanisms. The one that led me here is in the queue!

4 Likes

SORCERY!

(Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence? - Yes. Yes it is.)

2 Likes

One of my proudest moments as a parent was when Progeny The Youngest showed me a machine he’d built in Minecraft with a particularly fine sorting mechanism. It had never occurred to me I’d have a twelve year-old researching sorting algorithms and trying to build machines to match.

4 Likes

You are screwed management.

It’s not the only way to screw, I mean nail, management!

8 Likes

Negentropy. :wink:

1 Like

I sure hope they check for that anomoly before Box Top Folding Bot tries to do its job.

2 Likes

SORTERY :wink:

11 Likes

And sorting algorithms!

3 Likes
  1. I’m always intrigued by the complexity of the transfers between industrial processes. Why not just put machine A next to machine B instead of constructing a complex system to transfer materials from one to the other?

2. Presumably the nails are oriented at the time they’re cut, and the heads forged. Why not just keep that alignment through subsequent processes?*

• I am not a professional nail-maker.
4 Likes

My dad worked at a nail manufacturing plant. I think there were a few reasons.

The longer the mechanism, the more chances something will break down. Separate machines allow a sort of division of labor.

Most nails are cold-stamped from coils. The coils are extremely heavy and it takes large equipment to move them.

Most nail stamping machines can be set to different lengths, gauges, and head sizes, so you have to use different packaging for each kind.

In some cases, they get “hot dipped” (galvanized) after they are cut and stamped but before they are packaged.

That is the extent of my nail knowledge. They originally made barbed wire and “tamed the west.”

9 Likes

Obligatory:

6 Likes