Saudi crown prince buys PGA Tour--and control of golf in North America

Originally published at: Saudi crown prince buys PGA Tour–and control of golf in North America | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The lawsuit between the two leagues threatened to expose the PGA’s non-profit status as a sham. Prince Bonesaw backing up a truckload of cash bribes to PGA officials no doubt sealed the deal. This is the same level of corruption and enablement of authoritarian regimes we’ve seen with FIFA and the IOC and F1 racing.

In an interview, PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan responded to the letter. “I have two families that are close to me that lost loved ones [on 9/11] — my heart goes out to them,”

That was then. Today the only thing going out from Monahan to them is “f*ck you, I’ve got mine.”

19 Likes

Tankerloads of money can buy you anything. And allow you to coverup anything while you buy it and silence anyone who might object to it permanently.

7 Likes

Angry Katharine Hepburn GIF

22 Likes

The Rich Eisen video was helpful: TIL that “the LIV Tour” is pronounced “the lɪv Tour” and not “the 54 tour.” Huh.

4 Likes

Saudi Arabia is not America’s friend. Sure it’s a devoted enemy to the Palestinian people but that doesn’t make it a friend of the US. They used the Russian invasion of Ukraine as a weapon against the West and war profiteered as bad as anyone else at least.

The only thing they’ve done is expose all the bribed hypocrites in the sporting world for who they are. Unfortunately people love their sportsball too much to treat it rationally.

In many sports they started small too, buying off little bits and pieces with gulf states consortiums, then they deliver huge success to a team they buy and everyone wants a petro-oligarch sugar daddy.

8 Likes

Obligatory.

Golf is already a dying sport with dwindling appeal to Americans who aren’t an affluent white males over age 30. Golf clubs still perpetuate institutional bigotry and exclusion, often openly; it’s not a physical challenge for the non-pro; golf courses are environmentally disastrous wastes of water; and the sport is just too expensive for most young people to play. And now American professional golf is effectively owned by a murderous hereditary monarch who maintains his power by an alliance with violent religious fanatics. If any sport deserves to be tossed in the dust in of history, it’s the one Twain described as “a good walk spoiled”.

23 Likes

That’s the last straw, I’m going to stop watching golf… oh wait. golf?

11 Likes

Where does that leave TFG, who was in deep with LIV Golf?

3 Likes

Not surprisingly, he immediately put his stamp of approval on this turd sandwich in his usual carnival tout fashion.

I’m sure that endorsement didn’t come without a price tag attached, either.

7 Likes

It’s pronounced “live” as in “Jamal Khashoggi no longer lives”. :frowning:

Sportswashing is really the worst.

15 Likes

The mainstream media is calling this a “merger” as part of a deal to end all the lawsuits between the two. This post has more context that is helpful in dispelling that characterization.

The big question still unanswered is, what happens to all of the golfers who went to LIV that the PGA banned for life? PGA was very clear that anyone who took LIV’s bribe was banned from the PGA for life for taking blood money.

I’m guessing nothing happens to them. They get to keep their blood money and now they’re PGA again. tableflip.gif

PGA was all about their principles when it served their optics.

Saudi blood money is a top reason to get off fossil fuels ASAP. Those maniacal sociopaths lose all their money and power if we’re driving electric cars.

12 Likes

Financed by terrorists.

Is the WPGA getting a taste of this merger? Seems like LIV might have a problem with them.

In any case, anything PGA that comes to my town I’ll be out protesting along with other media peeps.

3 Likes

He’s back to hosting major golf events at his courses. The PGA dropped him during a momentary attack of principle after the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection, and he immediately became a LIV supporter. It’s all as if Prince Bonesaw wanted to do him a favour.

Bingo.

7 Likes

Well yeah, but considering TFG, a pat on the head from prince bonesaw might have been enough.

5 Likes

Be prepared for enormous pressure to build more and more of them.

7 Likes

The third party in the agreement, DP World Tour, is part of Dubai and UAE arm’s-length sportswashing efforts.

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see how much the PGA nabobs are getting out of this one.
Must have frosted their cookies to see the players pulling down millions for playing a game, then get huge LIV signing bonuses to boot.
Time to get mine! plain and simple.

3 Likes

I don’t like golf, but this is fucked

2 Likes
5 Likes