Saudi King Salman’s golden escalator breaks down at Russian airport

He must be exhausted. Probably needs to find his Golden Shower.

3 Likes

I like escalators that don’t fail, OK?

4 Likes

How pitifully provincial…

In the developed world; the great and good have golden parachutes to deal with such potential mishaps!

2 Likes

It figures I wouldn’t be the first to post that…,

It’ll be the “best” golden escalator.

But I’d rather we spend our tax dollars on a lead parachute for him.

1 Like

We laugh, but some poor low-totem maintenance guy is totally fucked right now for something he probably had nothing to do with in the first place.

1 Like

It was definitely dark humor.

2 Likes

I think Mel Brooks wrote this scene

Edit: Obviously with Mel himself as King Salman

1 Like

3 Likes

look upon my mighty perks…

How long can it be before Trump demands a Golden Escalator for Air Force One?..with us, the taxpayers picking up the bill of course.

It would’ve been so much better if it had stopped suddenly and he’d rolled all the way to the bottom, ending up with his robe over his head. Not because I wish him ill, it’s just there’s nothing funnier.

I still laugh when I think about my late grandmother falling down the stairs and smashing a coffee table to flinders. She was fine, but TBH I can’t swear that it makes any difference in hindsight.

3 Likes

Look, if a kid can’t be bothered to keep his fingers attached, he deserves to lose them.

2 Likes

The other one’s his platinum escalator. You don’t use that every day, only when company is over.

4 Likes

I’m confused. Does the elevator fly in a seperate plane and meet him there? Or did Russia have a spare one? Or does it come out of his 747?

4 Likes

I’m all for castigating the unjustness/decadence/corruption/putrefaction that is the Saudi regime, but:

• the “golden” escalator was supplied by the Russians

• Salman is 81

This video is just an elderly man with mobility issues on a broken piece of machinery.

Look, I would have been as happy as anyone else if they’d shown the rest of the video: where a retinue of 20 barefooted, shirtless Immortals create a human pyramid to lift him down, and then carry him off in a shrouded palanquin.

Actually, a broke escalator can become a slide.

8 Likes

Yeah, mine does the same thing, like all the time.

2 Likes

Oh no. He hires people to do that for him.

This is all I saw as well, he probably paused wondering what was happening, and might have been instructed to wait, given it might have been dangerous in his condition to keep moving if it started up again.

No idea why this is ‘making the rounds’…? The ‘gold escalator’ is a bit weird, but doesn’t really seem all that unexpected or interesting either. Slow news day?

3 Likes

I’m not sure you’ve got your preposition use fully sorted yet. Is it “for” or a different, slightly shorter preposition that should have been used?