Scary Meter ranks horror movies

Originally published at: Scary Meter ranks horror movies | Boing Boing

2 Likes

They are rating Midsommer only 0.7/10 for "Jumpy"ness.
I would object it was very jumpy, at least for some of the characters.

(I’ll take my coat and leave, just let me first get my tongue unstuck from my cheek)

6 Likes

I made the mistake of watching this movie with a Swede, and asking him what this word meant before the scene you’re referencing, spoiling myself. On the plus side he was able to verify for me afterward that the movie accurately depicts life in the North of Sweden.

5 Likes

Midsommar spelling: cripes, I live in Stockholm and I am even a Swedish citizen.
Where’s the emoji for ashamed, when you need it?

6 Likes

Lol wut

1 Like

I fuckin’ hope not.
That was one disturbing film.

1 Like

To be precise, he said that he was from Stockholm where life is not quite like that, but from everything he’d ever heard about them Northern types Midsommar sounded spot on. Perhaps @newbrain can weigh in.

2 Likes

“Yep, that’s exactly what those weird rural people are like, with their creepy traditions and strange accents what do you mean we all sound the same to you trust me they’ve got weird accents. Creepy. Not like us in the cities, anyway.”

5 Likes

Maybe the site is just getting started. Now the scariest is a tie between The Exorcist and The Haunting which makes more sense. I expect Hereditary to creep higher as more people rank.

I don’t know if gore should be a factor, though. Shocking violence can be scary, but just gore? Some the goriest movies ever made are more funny than scary.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking of.

2 Likes

My first thought as well. I was surprised to see that this early Peter Jackson movie isn’t on ScaryMeter, but that’s because it’s there under its other title.

5 Likes

My reaction was much the same to many of the things that pop out when you first hit the site. Looks like the New Releases / Upcoming Releases (because I often miss what’s coming out) and Critically Acclaimed /Classic Horror might be the ones that hold some of the most promise.

But right now on Most Rated: Hereditary, Get Out, Sinister. Meh. Same for Recently Rated - original TCSM, okay, but Hereditary, and Get Out, again. Refresh, and Critically Acclaimed is Midsommar and Ghost…erm.

Looking at the Scariest is interesting. I suspect it depends a lot on the age range of those voting, and the kind of movie pacing that generation is most accustomed to. I’m sure the age someone saw a movie plays a large role, as well.

The idea of rating scariness on multiple things is certainly a great idea. Definitely bookmarking this site.

1 Like

Yeah, my immediate reaction was, “these people clearly haven’t seen many horror movies. Maybe it’s a generational thing.” But I think it can also be put down to fluctuations in small-number statistics, because the site is new. It’ll be fun to see how it evolves.

4 Likes

They should include a bit of explanation. I am not sure if “jumpiness” is supposed to reflect that amount of jump scares the movie resorts to in order to be “scary” or if it refers to how jumpy it makes you as a viewer feel. Because one is good and the other is less so.

2 Likes

That’s certainly my overall impression, too. Maybe a bump from the likes of BB will change their traffic. I notice some of the pages load verrrry slow. It looks like it may have been around since at least 2020, based on their About page. But some of the ratings (like The Haunting) are only at the single-digit level. So six people really ranking something like that very high can put that at #2…right now.

But there are some deep cuts in there that surprised me, so it’s not all being driven by people that just started watching horror with something like Get Out or the Conjuring or A Quiet Place or what have you. New Nightmare is ranked higher than the first movie? It’s been so long since I saw New Nightmare, but again, I saw the first at a far more impressionable age (and setting).

Also, The Haunting is wayyy up there? I think I watched that on a bout of tracking down and watching “100 best horror movies”, and I barely remember anything from it. Likely due to set and setting. I get why Ju-On and The Exorcist are near the top. Heriditary is at #8. I don’t mind slow burns but…I just don’t get why this movie is so beloved, but it’s much like comedy, I suppose. Different strokes. Gonjiam is at #10 and I’ve never seen it…but now it’s on my list.

Seeing these lists is definitely making me want to track down some movies I’ve not seen, as well as re-visit some, too. Maybe even Hereditary. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad to see The Descent is there. Thought it was a really solid film, though the bit that freaked me out the most was more due to the nature of spelunking.

1 Like

The Exorcist is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

1 Like

Yeah, I liked that movie. A solid watch, IMHO.

Also, thanks to this site, I found Fall (2022) and started watching that over lunch today. I like heights about as much as tight spaces, and I found myself yelling “NOPE!” more often than I yelled “NOPE!” at Nope, LOL. Although Nope is really good, too…though not as scary (for me) compared to Fall, due to the subject matter.

1 Like
2 Likes