Scenes from a vegan hot dog eating contest

they aren’t really a thing in the US either, its just one of those things that gets a lot of attention when it happens because its so bizarre and over the top.

I’ve lived in the US my whole life and been to all kinds of county fairs and never seen an eating contest in person.

[citation needed]

1 Like

yeah no kidding, since when are hot dogs ‘mostly garlic’ that would be bizarre.

If I hadn’t listed other things after that stunted quote then I would understand the confusion.

I.e they’re mostly [this list of things]. A colon would have helped, admittedly. They’re mostly: garlic, spices, bits of old tyres. To assume that a hot dog is mostly comprised of garlic would indeed be insane.

And what’s wrong with real hot dogs? They’re made from muscle eat. If you want the good stuff, you have to eat sausages; they’re made from organ meat. And yes, organ meat is healthier than muscle meat. http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/7-nutrient-packed-animal-organs Yes, you’re better off eating a cow’s brain than its butt (flank steak).

1 Like

I’ve never recovered from the disappointment of learning that hot dogs have no dog meat in them.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but is that kai the hatchet wielding hitchhiker??

Reference —> http://youtu.be/-Xa0NfCdLk4

1 Like

I would prostrate myself in shame, but I’m afraid a higher level vegan would eat me. Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

I’d brush that carrot with a slice of bacon, then do all that stuff you mentioned and it would (to me) be even better. Curses! Now everyone will know I was lying about being vegan (whatever the level)!

1 Like

Its loaded with cholesterol and saturated fat, and there’s enough medical evidence that the WHO recommends no more than 3 serves of red meat per week to avoid an increased risk of a number of cancers.

A small amount of meat in your diet, on the other hand is very beneficial. When I was off meat, it was because I had trouble regulating my intake, and ate a lot of it. And my cholesterol and BMI were much better on a seafood / vegetarian diet.

Yeah those are the ones I used to eat regularly and still eat occasionally, they really are pretty close to a hotdog, and a lot healthier.

WHO? You mean the people to insisted that trans-fat was healthy? They lied before, they lie again. I don’t believe anything they say. They don’t research again. They just tell you what to eat based on their religious beliefs.

1 Like

My understanding is that research linking high consumption (ie more than 3 serves a week) of red meat to cancer is pretty solid. But I will say categorically right now that I am not going to get into a link posting primary research debating internet shit fight about it, so this post is the full extent and substance of my claim. Should be easy enough to refute if you’re keen.

1 Like

Most Morningstar stuff isn’t vegan. I’ve generally found breakfast sausages and stuff to be pretty successful across brands, though, since the flavor is so based on spices, and they can be pretty salty while still being way healthier than regular sausage, which is insanely unhealthy. The ‘Gimme Lean’ brand is generally pretty good, though I usually add salt and pepper.

I’ve honestly never had a ‘flavor problem with vegan food,’ but I’ve generally been more likely to cook myself chili, curry, stir fries, pasta, or whatever, rather than buy some gross frozen thing. And, again, the few gross frozen things I’ve had haven’t really been any more objectionable than the gross frozen things I had when I ate meat, since gross frozen meat things are pretty much just as (or more) ‘fake’ than gross frozen vegan things. The vegan ones are just less unhealthy.

Yeah, by flavorless vegan food I was mostly referring to the pre-packaged stuff. Homemade vegan food can easily be great.

Vegan frozen entrees may compare well to Hungry-Man, sure. But I can, say, buy a fairly decent brand of cheese ravioli at any upscale shop. Vegan, not so much. It’s debatable exactly why this is, but it is a significant limitation. If you want to not be miserable as a vegan, you need to either cook or be lucky enough to live close to a good vegan restaurant and afford it. Non-vegans can be fairly happy more easily.

In retrospect, the greatest personal benefit of having been vegan was to rewire my tastes away from crap. Veganism is like a puzzle which forces you to consciously rethink the most fundamental thing of life: nourishment. This is a great virtue.

btw, you can pretty easily find healthful meat sausage these days, if that’s what you want.

2 Likes

I haven’t trusted vegan food since the first time I tried “Better Than Cream Cheese” 20 years ago. I still have nightmares.

It usually does where food is involved.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Couldn’t the same be said for most processed meat products? The major difference is that often they’re loaded with salt, whereas because of the healthfood crossover with vegan products they’re often the opposite.

Location plays a big part in that conversation too, some countries have considerably better faux products than others (as in a world of difference), and the stuff you get made by actual people in restaurants (like gluten-based products) is better still.

But do keep in mind that folks don’t turn vegan because they think hot dogs are bland :slight_smile: For many people there’s some level of compromise involved.

This was just too good an opportunity to miss, sorry.