Scenes from a vegan hot dog eating contest

… and I thought that living as a vegan is not exactly healthy. I’m no nutritionist (and that’s what you apparently need to become when you want to live vegan) but I vaguely remember* that there are problems getting essential vitamins and several studies/experts don’t recommend vegan living for small children or when pregnant.

*found the link where I read it (german): Vegan eignet sich nicht für Kinder - FOCUS online

I have refuted it: they are not reliable. It’s easy to prove anything if you pre-select your candidates and cherry-pick your results.

1 Like

Sigmund Freud is spinning in his grave so fast - there’s a danger of him turning into a supermassive black hole. Those people must be a secret cult of Armageddon worshipers.

Actually, the proof includes meta studies involving millions of people over decades, so the connection between red meat and cancer is as solid as research ever gets.

People choose to do many things in life that come with a greater than 0% chance of causing harm. The risk of cancer is not going to stop most people from eating meat, just like most people aren’t going to stop driving to work. But the risk is real.

2 Likes

We don’t even know what causes cancer in the first place, and you’re telling me it’s all about meat? What about smoking? Aspartame? Sugar? Fish maybe? What if life itself causes cancer? Cell phones? Wi-Fi? It’s far fetched, cancer is not something we fully understand.

1 Like

The one thing I would contradict in your post is that vegn restaurants are not always as good as the hype. I am a good cook, so I look at restaurant food through that lens (could I make this better at home?) and as such, I’m usually disappointed by most vegn restaurants. At least partly because of the tendency to try to mimic meat dishes, which is fine for some dishes, but why have that be 95% of your menu? Honestly, my omnivore (often flexitarian) friends eat fewer meat-centered dishes in their weekly diet than are represented on the average veg*n restaurant menu.

When my children were little, I experimented with a bunch of the meat analog offerings because I thought it would be helpful when they brought friends over to serve what seemed like normal children’s food (in the U.S.). Rather quickly I learned that it wasn’t necessary – kids are more adventurous eaters than is portrayed in the media – although there are a few items we still eat on occasion just because we like them. But what really struck me, and this is at least a partial answer to the question that has been asked a couple of times above, is that kids who are vegetarian from birth (and have a parent who knows how to cook) don’t understand the draw of meat products because they didn’t grow up on them, whereas adults who made a conscious choice to become veg*n later in life do sometimes miss certain comfort foods from childhood. There’s a lot of memory infused in eating a hotdog at the ballgame or a hamburger at a backyard BBQ. They might not be madeleines, but they still resonate in your mind.

3 Likes

So what I hear you saying is that you’ve done absolutely no research into any form of cancer. Each of which have different genetic and environmental triggers from others, so there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

1 Like

If by research you mean reading vegan web pages about how evil meat is, no I didn’t. But my grandfather is medical professor who studied and worked in medicine for 40+ years, who is an actual medical scientist. And I once asked him about cancer - and he told me this: cancer is uncontrollable cell reproduction triggered mostly by radioactive elements found in cigarettes and in to a lesser extent on everything else. Because everything is actually radioactive, sunlight itself is pretty radioactive.

i don;t know if the rest of the photos are like that, but that looks like a lot of sad people.

You asked your grandfather once about the topic of cancer.

I rest my case.

4 Likes

Gelato’s not vegan?

2 Likes

What does Henry Miller have to do with it?

2 Likes

Ha ha ha.

1 Like

Good. It’s not like you brought any real evidence to support your claims.

So you can eat anything, but only in the dark?

2 Likes

The guy’s helmet is not yellow, only the visor is.

Sounds like someone didn’t cook it properly.

1 Like

I agree, too often ‘vegan’ meals end up being a bit on the bland side, perhaps because people don’t know enough to experiment with herbs and spices.

1 Like

I live here. Meh… it’s not all white, but IMO a vegan hotdog eating contest is not actually going to draw a lot of diversity. Then again a lot of Austin is full of white people from California… like most of it these days it seems. A lot of us aren’t exactly into this sort of thing. I have to admit I didn’t even know it was happening (and frankly, I’m not too sorry I missed it). Anything that has to repeatedly tell me it’s fun just seems like it’s probably lying to me. Then again, I’m not subcultural… in fact I probably represent all that one comes here to escape. I just happened to grow up here. Look! Irony! It’s in there, I swear.

1 Like

Great big edit, deleting original mega-snark and replacing it with something more agreeable…

Yes I get that you don’t trust the WHO as a source, my point was I believe their recommendation is based on solid research. Its that research you would want to debunk. Given that I haven’t even pointed to any of it and don’t intend to, you should be able to manage with another quote from ‘Mens Health’.

1 Like