Schiff 'deeply concerned' as Pompeo potentially interferes with witnesses

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/02/schiff-deeply-concerned-as.html

6 Likes

“Deep concern” is meaningless without the willingness to throw these motherfuckers in jail for contempt of Congress.

32 Likes

neither trump nor most of the people staffing his administration seem ever to have heard of the first rule of holes-- when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. when the founders were writing the constitution they elected to keep the prior, customary usage in english law of “high crimes and misdemeanors” which at the time covered allegations of misconduct by officials, such as dishonesty, negligence, perjury of oath, abuse of authority, bribery, intimidation, misuse of public funds or assets, failure to supervise, dereliction of duty, unbecoming conduct, refusal to obey a lawful order, chronic intoxication, among other things but was not limited to that list.

trump has easily cleared the bar for abuse of authority and now he and his administration seem to be going out of their way to add to the offenses. this really is “stupid watergate” it’s like watergate but, you know, with morons.

25 Likes

The Republican Party - “the party of law and order,” mind you - need to be called out for their support of this obvious contempt for the constitution.

Every. Fucking. Day.

16 Likes

Chairman Schiff appears unconcerned with President Drumpf’s baseless attacks on his character.

When the motivating factor for those baseless attacks is someone who challenging his yuge ego, it’s only a matter of time before their effectiveness is diluted (even more so when the baseless attacks are couched in the language of the 5th grade schoolyard).

11 Likes

I saw a report that Pompeo was trying to get anyone who cooperated with Congress (as they’re legally required to do) punished, even fired. It’s straight-up obstruction at this point.

Pompeo and Barr need to go to prison at this point.

Edit: Ironically, while accusing Democrats of “bullying” those employees he was threatening. So much projection with these dudes.

23 Likes

The cognitive dissonance with these folks has to be off the charts. It’s delusional behavior almost by definition. How can people operate like that?

7 Likes

History repeating as a farce. :sleepy:

8 Likes

Shiff needs to put the hammer down on one official to start the ball rolling. Fines and imprisonment, and adding the obstruction to the articles of impeachment. I know all about the questions around this - has not been done in decades. But extraordinary obstruction requires extraordinary persuasion.

Anything less will defect negate the House’s lawful power here.

10 Likes

“Law and order” just means “will protect you from the brown people”

2 Likes

The morons here start to be looking like the people who aren’t putting these fuckers in jail for contempt of Congress.

That’s a crime. Do not pass Go, etc.

4 Likes

Here is the contact form for Speaker Pelosi. https://www.speaker.gov/contact

Send her a message: Its time to make arrangements to incarcerate those obstructing the impeachment inquiry. Very publicly, very seriously, and put somebody away to show them you are serious.

6 Likes

Congress, whatcha gonna do with a bunch of bully gangsters?

2 Likes

i get what you’re saying but in a way i have to feel some sympathy for schiff, and peolsi, et al. because the administration creates so many potentially criminal and/or impeachable offenses every day that it’s almost impossible to stop and deal with them. when you’re working within the constraints of a constitutional system which often runs on a combination of laws, rules, and traditions and one of the parties involve in the situation decides to break the rules and flout the traditions there isn’t much left to keep things moving along on the right course.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Wikipedia says that Congress hasn’t jailed anyone directly since 1935, and that the usual procedure now is to refer the matter to the US Attorney for DC when they go after someone for Contempt of Congress. That US Attorney is Jessie Liu, a Trump appointee.

Both Barr and Wilbur Ross have already been found in Contempt for other stuff. It doesn’t seem like it made much of an impression on them. Call it a hunch, but I bet Barr would not allow his own staff to throw him in the clink.

3 Likes

True, but I think we’re no longer within the realm of usual procedure.

4 Likes

Exactly. It’s within the House’s power to order Paul D. Irving to raise a posse to effect the arrest. I can think of a lot of Washingtonians who’d volunteer.

6 Likes

Count me in.

4 Likes

THIS, a million times over.

2 Likes