School apologizes after parents complain that "Santa Goes Green" Christmas concert was anti-oil

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/23/school-apologizes-after-parent.html

2 Likes

God forbid a school tries to educate anyone…

45 Likes

well they could change it to a play about about santa mixing his reds with his whites in the laundry and going pink. oil towns love pink .

16 Likes

Maybe they should have had the kids singing a traditional children’s song:

Cockatoo drops from the old gum tree,
Burning in the climate, hot as can be,
Die, cockatoo! Die, cockatoo!
Drill more oil for me.

I don’t see anything in there about corrupt politicians, voting, or anything especially political. It even has a line asking to drill oil, so how can they object?

EDIT: yes, it’s for real. Horrifically real:

32 Likes

One of the rare cases of the proper use of the non-pology

35 Likes

That’s perfectly lovely.

Though for Canadian audiences it might have to be reworded slightly to have a moose falling out of a lodgepole pine*.

1 Like

I suppose I should have included the second verse that includes a Canadian theme:

Polar bear swims in the open sea,
No more ice to hunt seals to feed,
Starve, polar bear! Starve, polar bear!
Greenhouse gas warms me.

19 Likes

Academia apologies for testing the atmosphere, finding carbon, and reporting results. Oops! Sorry.

Men At Work meets Midnight Oil!

11 Likes

The song works better if you use the original Kookaburra but then I suppose we’d all be up for a thousand dollars per page view.

9 Likes

This sort of reaction to the mere mention of climate change has become much more common here in oil country. For anyone who has been in an abusive relationship the tactics will be familiar: don’t bring up the objectionable topic or you will experience so much anger you will fear for your very safety.

Of course it’s always the kids who suffer.

28 Likes

My current favorite way to argue with climate-change denialists is to just say "You know, the oil IS going to run out sometime, even if the Earth is a giant ball filled completely with oil, it’s not unlimited. We should be prepared to start using something renewable, and even better if it’s something that doesn’t give billions of our dollars to brutal theocratic regimes like Saudi Arabia. "

18 Likes

The proper response from the school should have been a dusting of the hands and QED. These deniers could not have proven the point of the kid’s play any better.

8 Likes

That is the Alberta War Room line:

Fact: Canada is among the least corrupt countries in the world, ranked 9th by Transparency International in 2018. Norway is the only other oil producer in the top 10. Consider: In that same list, Canada’s top oil-producing rivals are ranked: the United States 22; Saudi Arabia 58; Iran, Mexico and Russia all at 138; Nigeria 144; and Iraq and Venezuela at 168.

7 Likes

“How dare you teach our children not to continue defiling the planet and to do something constructive to mitigate the climate catastrophe they’ll be inheriting from our willfully ignorant short-sighted plundering!” /s

13 Likes

Since various tweeters and news articles have recently showed photos of cockatoos and other wildlife lying dead on the ground, presumably killed by the heat, I chose more factual lyrics.

3 Likes

Santa Claus has been in the pocket of the fossil fuel industry for years. Why do you think he always stuffs conservatives’ stockings with coal?

13 Likes
11 Likes

Meanwhile, at the Raid factory down the street the cockroach parents are up in arms about the kids singing about the dangers of the pesticide.

2 Likes

The linked CBC article has the main complainer’s fb post… and the comments… boy oh boy are they hilariously sad.
All these adults being so wilfully bow-down beholden and worshipful towards the feckin local employer, an industry no less, in 2019… Jeeze it’s gross.

11 Likes

“Especially when our industry is suffering right now,” he said. “It’s a tough time for everybody.”

In what reality is the oil industry suffering? They had one of their best years to date. Oil production is up two billion barrels from 2017 (16?) and the US has held the top oil producer spot for the past 6 years. Mr. Gunderman needs to get his facts straight and/ or stop spreading fud.

3 Likes