School lockers painted as book spines

[Read the post]

2 Likes

That is a fantastic idea, but as I suspected the ā€œunusedā€ part is borne out of security theater which forces students to carry a full load of books and other belongings all day long:

189 unused lockersā€”which had been sealed shut for security reasons for more than 15 years

Oh well, I guess at least thereā€™s some silver lining. I wonder why those things werenā€™t just ripped out years ago to open up the space.

8 Likes

Fun idea. All four (?) twilight books, eh? Iā€™d have painted only the first one of popular multi book series to make space for more title variety, myself. Too bad about not being able to use them as lockers.

6 Likes

That looks like some really dedicated but awkwardly sideways painting work. And during the summer, which is supposedly a holiday for teachers. Further proof that teachers get an especially bad rap (rep?) these days.

4 Likes

I was hoping for a list of the titles. Most of them are pretty bad, but I did see Oryx & Crake,

2 Likes

The other silver lining is no one can be stuffed into them.

Admittedly thatā€™'s not always a bad thing.

6 Likes

I was going to lament for the poor schmuck who gets stuck with the Twilight locker, but it seems the schoolā€™s way ahead of meā€¦

Note also the ridiculous ā€˜fire safetyā€™ sloping topsā€¦

1 Like

Le sighā€¦ I wonder if the painters have ever looked at a shelf of books. All of these are painted as if the books were shelved upside-down.

My own junior high had unused lockers back in 1983. And my high school didnā€™t seal shut its lockers until 1990 or so. For all the good that does. :^/

Not a consensus everywhere.

1 Like

Nah. Just in bookshelves where these titles would be found in English.

I do applaud the idea and the attempt (though I wish the kids could still actually use the lockers). I just figured, if theyā€™re gonna put in the effort to do it at all, at least they could have oriented the titles to look like they werenā€™t upside-down compared to any editions of these books that these kids would be likely to see.

I donā€™t think any normal kid will be bothered by this, though, so carry on.

Makes me wonder if ā€œsecurity reasonsā€ means ā€œweā€™re too lazy to guard themā€. I had a locker in high school but never used it because other students would break into them, and somehow would never, ever get caught by school security. I could see a school just saying ā€œdonā€™t use lockersā€ rather than being forced by angry parents to improve security.

Good thing the lockers are unused. Iā€™d hate to be the loser with the twilight locker.

2 Likes

My school growing up had teeny tiny lockers, and one day we were all ushered out onto the campus by a fire drill, no big dealā€¦ until we saw multiple black vehicles with strobe lights flashing and police and CID (Criminal Investigation Department, a sort of FBI) running around everywhere. There had been a fake bomb threat, and the police had to go through and cut off all the locks on lockers for students who hadnā€™t provided spare keys and combinations.

It was time-consuming, and no doubt, annoying. Considering how likely schools are to receive fake bomb threats, lockers genuinely seem like a gigantic hassle to go through every few years even when there is no threat. I mean, even if you strongly suspect that a bomb threat during finals is probably a dumb kid who didnā€™t study, you still have to take it seriously. Besides, Iā€™m not sure that forcing me to lug Campbellā€™s Biology to and from school every day was doing me any favors- itā€™s high time schools issued E-books and dispensed with the pounds and pounds of books.

Carrying all those books is just one need for a locker though. What about just having a place to stash a heavy coat on a cold day? Or having a place to leave a gym bag and tennis racket until P.E. class? Or have a safe, clean place to stash a laptop computer during a ceramics class?

Bomb threats arenā€™t really any more of a danger in schools today than they were a generation or two ago but weā€™ve started treating teens like prisoners in a high-security facility nonetheless.

Anyway, depriving kids of lockers doesnā€™t even solve that problem. There are plenty of places an ill-intentioned person could hide a bomb (or claim to have hidden a bomb) in a high school. Are they going to ban trash cans next?

1 Like

I will be happy if this means I can look forward to more US schools refusing to be spineless.

1 Like

Ohā€¦ I donā€™t know about thatā€¦

2 Likes

[laugh tracks at the slime drop on Daemonworks]

2 Likes

If I had Twilight written on my locker Iā€™d do my best to set up an old timey style extending boxing glove system inside that jack-in-the-box wallops anyone that comes by and says ā€œcool, twilightā€.

1 Like

Donā€™t worry, the Creationists are working tirelessly to ensure future generations will not suffer soā€¦

3 Likes