School staff "notified of a possible gun" before 6-year-old shot teacher with it

Originally published at: School staff "notified of a possible gun" before 6-year-old shot teacher with it | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Earlier Thursday, Newport News School Board Chair Lisa Surles-Law said the district will install metal detectors at all schools, starting with Richneck.

Gun Powder Capitalism.

8 Likes

Officials said that while the school [Richneck Elementary] - which has about 550 pupils - had metal detectors, pupils were checked at random and not every child was inspected.

Source: Abby Zwerner: Six-year-old who shot his teacher used mother's gun

4 Likes

Kid was the son of a person who owns a metal detector company?

3 Likes

From the the article:

“Chief Drew said police determined through an interview with the child’s mother that the gun was bought legally and stored in their home.”

Obviously not stored safely - the mom should be facing charges as well

12 Likes

When I was in high school circa 2000-2004 in the same school district, we had random metal detector checks. Problem was, they created such long lines to get into the school that they just gave up and let everyone in when the first bell rang.

6 Likes

I wonder if this incident will get people blaming this on the teacher for not being armed.

5 Likes

From the article:

A pupil at the school - Novah Jones, who is in fifth grade and was in a different classroom - described the moment her class was locked down.
“I was scare,” she told CNN. “It was like my first lockdown and I didn’t know what to do, so I just hid under my desk like everybody was.”

Emphasis mine. I know the kid didn’t mean anything deep by this, but it’s still so fucked up.

13 Likes

Metal detectors accepted as a norm in elementary schools. Totally worth it so that insecure dweebs can amass armouries that make them feel like pulp action heroes.

8 Likes

Accepted, and apparently freaking useless to stop shootings.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.