Sci-fi film timeline: Next stop Soylent Green!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/22/sci-fi-film-timeline-next-sto.html

5 Likes

tumblr_6d37a575f686d595b74bf54876dfd526_d6d25fc1_640

28 Likes

This chart must be wrong. It puts Idiocracy at 2505. It is happening right now!

17 Likes

Idiocracy had a working healthcare system. It is a utopia compared to now.

15 Likes

I’m more concerned about 12 monkeys.

16 Likes

Mmm Soylent Green.

5 Likes

I’m confused as to what the vertical white line represents. I thought it was the year 2000, but 2001 ends before it, and the J.J. Abrams Star Trek, which didn’t come out until 2009, begins right where the line is. It’s definitely not later than 2000 though, looking at the bottom of the chart.

1 Like

I liked the TV series. It was goofy and they changed the gender of Brad Pitt’s character, turning her into great comic relief.

3 Likes

Wake me from hyper-sleep when we hit Zardoz.

11 Likes

Upgrade to Soylent Gold - eat the rich!

9 Likes

gizmodo featured this in 2009. The white line indicated the present. The bars begin when the movie was written, and end when the movie takes place.

5 Likes

Watched 12 Monkeys again yesterday. Acting was all over the place, but the film is as disturbing as I remember it back in 1995 (?).

6 Likes

The scoops are on their way!

5 Likes

Now I’ve seen this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zardoz#/media/File:Zardoz_zed.jpg), I feel obliged to watch the entire film.

3 Likes

eh, it’s your standard “gun is good, penis is evil” type movie.

5 Likes

In more ways than one:

7 Likes

I saw Zardoz once, in a second run theatre (so some years after it came out).

I bought it used on DVD, maybe as much as ten years ago, still haven’t watched it again.

Maybe I’ll have a disaster film festival. Watch Soylent Green, but also The Omega Man (and I Am Legend). I watched The Postman some months back, but maybe add Waterworld. I must have others.

But then I still have half a James Bond film festival, having started the series a few months ago and pausing after “Diamonds are Forever”.

And soon it will be time for the spring/summer film festival, Summer School, Dazed and Confused, Jaws (and the sequels), Blazing Saddles (I saw it in a hit summer day), Caddyshack, Summer Rental and a bunch of others…

5 Likes

Relevant XKCD:

8 Likes

This is the sort of thing I was asking about last year – I thought with Blade Runner’s 2019 we had hit an end to SF dates hitting real ones for a while. I had totally forgotten that Soylent Green was set in 2022, even though I’ve seen the movie a couple of times and read the book (Make Room, Make Room!). Speaking of the book, Harry Harrison was quite annoyed by the introduction of cannibalism in the movie – it just doesn’t make sense from a thermodynamic standpoint any more than the use of humans as energy sources does in The Matrix. Cannibalism works in famines because the population is shrinking, but the whole point of Soylent Green/Make Room. Make Room! was that the population was exploding.

7 Likes

Metropolis?? Shape of Things to Come ??? Frankenstein ??? Steamboy? Akira? Where’s all the good ones?

6 Likes