Scientists accidentally made a vicious mutant attack hamster

Originally published at: Scientists accidentally made a vicious mutant attack hamster | Boing Boing

6 Likes

200-4

30 Likes

Cowabunga!

12 Likes

Dawn of the Planet of the Hamsters

22 Likes

Go for the eyes Boo. Go for the eyes!

Source: Youtube clip of Minc with his miniature giant space hamster, from Baldur’s Gate, CRPG, c1998 & 2012, posted by user Sultan Of Smut on 2013 08 06.

I am really starting to think I am a Sam Becket like being but I am jumping in and out of bodies in other timelines that get progressively stranger. It’s like I am Worf from Star Trek TNG episode Parallels, because I swear the idea that mutant attack hamsters could become real would have never enter my mind or was even possible. That said, as a kid in preschool or kindergarten, I have memory of a hamster attacking and savaging another hamster, perhaps killing it- so I suppose this development was a probable or even as enviable as anything else I have live through in the past half decade. At least I have a family and I’m married to the same person…or am I. My kids have been so well behaved and quiet this morning- I am moving though… Oh boy!

19 Likes

I immediately thought of the origin of the reavers.

34 Likes

so essentially the plot to Serenity and the Reavers therein …only with hamsters(in space!) [tip of pork-pie hat to @Otherbrother who got there first-est]

21 Likes

Or some combination of the intended effect of the Pax drug on Reavers and what they did to River to make her into a psychic killing machine.

tenor

18 Likes

Obligatory

jurassic park film GIF

24 Likes

“Accidentally”

14 Likes

“Accidentally”

hamster GIF

34 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new hamster overlords.

22 Likes

So… aside from the “mutant” label, I’m not seeing any difference between that and a regular hamster. Damn things go into snarling killyoukillyoudiediedie! mode as soon as I come into the room their cage is in.

15 Likes
16 Likes

29 Likes

It’s almost as though when you’ve got an intricate, nested complex of closed-loop systems that has evolved over millions of years, cutting open a random loop has unexpected consequences.

32 Likes

Maybe it’s you.

10 Likes

Gives more nuance to the traditional French insult.

24 Likes

I had a pet hamster when I was a kid, and one day my mum poked it while it was still asleep and it bit her! She was horrified, but as I pointed out, quite reasonably I thought, that if she was asleep and someone came in and poked her hard with a stick, she’d be less than happy about it too!
Maybe there’s scope for CRISPR-modified Siberian hamsters being released in large numbers in Russian cities…

10 Likes

Very possible - the various hamster-owners always claim that their little hell-beast is just the friendliest, cuddliest love bundle ever. Then they bring it into the room, and it proceeds attempt evisceration. Always. They’re almost as vicious as rabbits.

9 Likes