Scientists determine the best way to sooth a crying baby

Originally published at: Scientists determine the best way to sooth a crying baby | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Sing “Rawhide” at about as loud as you can, it works for me every time, and bonus you get to sing “Rawhide”.

Rollin’, rollin’, rollin’
Rawhide!

Keep rollin’, rollin’, rollin’
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies rollin’
Rawhide!
Through rain and wind and weather
Hell-bent for leather
Wishin’ my gal was by my side.
All the things I’m missin’
Good vittles, love, and kissin’
Are waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in,
Ride 'em in, cut 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

Keep movin’, movin’, movin’
Though they’re disapprovin’
Keep them dogies movin’
Rawhide!
Don’t try to understand ‘em
Just rope, and throw, and brand ‘em
Soon we’ll be living high and wide.
My heart’s calculatin’
My true love will be waitin’
Be waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in,
Ride 'em in, cut 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

Rawhide!

22 Likes

So … that’s a no to the duct tape then?

15 Likes

I sung dirty rugby songs instead.

11 Likes

Obligs:

21 Likes

“Down In The Valley” was my go-to for babies of my own, and anybody else’s that needed to outsource snooze-inducements. Of course, the lyrics underwent a variety of unrepeatable changes.

Also, mandatory reading for the new parent:

13 Likes

Didn’t exist when my kid was a baby, but in retrospective solidarity, I fluv it, and the vid of Samuel L reading it aloud:

17 Likes

The more actual research we see just validates that nurturing, holding, embracing and engaging with children is the best medicine. So sad for my mom’s generation who were chastised for breastfeeding. A huuuuge part of this shift is down to the advocacy and direct action of midwives and doulas, La Leche league and other pre- and postpartum aid groups educating new families, often at no cost. Their positive impact on our family has been incalculable.

17 Likes

My experience is there is no “best” way. They are all different. Try things but be prepared to discover that they do not work on a specific baby at all or all the time.

13 Likes

Soothe, not sooth.

Sooth means truth, as in “verily and for sooth!” or “the soothsayer told me I would die in bed, and she’s never wrong!”

To soothe means to calm someone, as in: “don’t believe everything the soothsayer says,” he said soothingly.

13 Likes

scruff

19 Likes

classic film 60s GIF by FilmStruck

9 Likes

To steal a comment from Youtube:

“Oh, we got both kinds. We got Punk and Hardcore.”

6 Likes
5 Likes

N=21 is about as useless as it gets

4 Likes

Laydown of sleeping infants into a cot either interrupts or deepens infants’ sleep

Yeah, no shit. Every time you put down a just-fell-asleep infant it’s like living out the idol-switch scene in Raiders:

14 Likes
4 Likes

Paul Lynde on the Hollywood Squares, on how to sooth a crying baby: “Give them a teeny-weeny karate chop.”

3 Likes

Or let their tears fall into the teacup and then read their tea leaves?

8 Likes

Also the “Ignore them and let them cry it out” school of thought. Jeez; what a way to make them not trust that they are safe from the get-go.

3 Likes