'Whee, I am free!' —this cute little baby

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/04/happy-baby.html

16 Likes

10 Likes

Babies love being inside a burrito. It was the only way to make mine shut up.

20 Likes

That little face tells us he knows what’s coming! He’s prepared! DEPLOY CUTENESS!!!

27 Likes

This is me every day at 5pm.

19 Likes

Baby #2: “M”
Baby #3: “C”
Baby #4: “A!”

33 Likes

Yeah, when our twins were born, the birthing center showed us Harvey Karp’s “5 S” techniques (swaddling, side/stomach, shushing, swing and suck). I don’t think I would be alive today without that magic.

14 Likes

Mine didn’t. The only way to calm her down was endless swinging and singing. No sitting down allowed!

7 Likes

My freshest niece was like this before she acquired the crawling upgrade. When released from a car seat, baby holster or Hannibal Lecter-style feeding restraint she would instantly spring into a star configuration and look pleased

9 Likes

This is my antidote for present day 'Murka.

4 Likes

Spring-loaded baby. (Possibly conceived in the Spring?)

4 Likes

I recall a short video feature on the practice of swaddling, and as practiced at a Russian maternity ward. Dozens of swaddled-up babies were shown, looking like tight sausages, and all lined up (as if in a factory) by large, motherly nurses. The swaddling quieted the babies, apparently. The process of swaddling (done lightning fast!) was actually fascinating. The best part involved one nurse holding up one sausage baby to the camera while she lovingly murmured (what had to be endearments) to the baby. I don’t understand Russian and to this day I wish I knew what she had said!

6 Likes

8 Likes

At that age, babies become instantly awake and ready for action!

3 Likes

That looks a lot like the infant startle reflex, minus the concerned expression.
I recall there may be a GIF on the Web of a kitten doing the same thing.

2 Likes

Swaddling my daughter was a lifesaver for a the first few months (the so-called 4th trimester). I felt horrible that I couldn’t soothe her enough/correctly and about swaddling her at first because it seemed just so wrong. All that changed in the wee hours one night when after nursing (un-swaddled) she started to cry until I laid her down on the swaddling cloth and she recognized what was about to happen. I watched her whole body relax and evident relief wash over her face as she anticipated the comfort of the impending swaddle. It was like her body and limbs and feelings and sensations were all too much for her to handle yet, and swaddling took care of some of the overload until her brain/body connections could develop a little more. I don’t recall exactly how long she needed swaddling (newborn amnesia is a thing); it wasn’t long, maybe a month or two? And, yes, she did the same “victory arms” as the baby in the post in the mornings.

15 Likes

“With enough thoracic pressure you will be unable to scream.”

3 Likes

3 Likes

Déjà vu 2017. And to be honest, I preferred the previous version because of the perfect synchronization: https://boingboing.net/2017/04/10/dad-perfectly-times-his-baby.html

My daughter would do that in her sleep, if she wasn’t swaddled, and wake herself up.

2 Likes