Scientists explain our dislike of Daylight Savings Time

9 Likes

Well, for one thing it’s “daylight saving time”, not “savings”.

4 Likes

18 Likes

In some respects it might actually be easier now than in the past: It’s already standard for the user-visible time to be calculated with a timezone offset from the system representation of time; and for various messaging tools to adjust calendar invites and the like when sent between time zones. Given the odds that the device displaying your time has a pretty solid fix on your location it would be entirely doable(though certainly more complex than time zones) for it to provide a very tightly localized subjective time. You’d need periodic outside input; because of the instability of the earth that gives us leap seconds; but even if you neglect that you’ll be close enough for a fair few years; and you are probably on a networked device in any case.

People might not like the privacy implications; since the accuracy of ‘time zone’ adjustment would now be directly related to the precision of the location data provided. I suspect that you could get good enough without giving too much away(or by computing locations where you aren’t that have sufficiently similar subjective local times and just choosing one of those at random).

It would also be a blessing and a curse for the mechanical watch enthusiasts. On the minus side they’d become effectively unusable except by setting them against something that can help you with the math and then not moving too far; but if you love ‘complications’ in watch design a fully mechanical implementation of dialing in WGS84 values and getting a local time would probably spark your enthusiasm; and give your wrist some exercise.

2 Likes

I find it WAY easier to wake up when it’s light out.

2 Likes

Season 4 Champagne GIF by Living Single

There’s always next year. I’m getting younger, right?

7 Likes

I had a coworker once who talked about working in a remote, underdeveloped region where most people didn’t have access to watches. He said if you wanted to arrange a meeting you said “Let’s meet Tuesday” and then just kinda showed up in the center of town and waited.

2 Likes

7 Likes

This is on The List, right? How could this not be on The List?

Ah, now it is.

Glad it is. How could it not be.

Next in line: date formatting.

6 Likes

… one thing about Daylight Saving Time, beyond whether we think it is good or bad, is that even if we assume it is a positive thing it has not been implemented properly

Obviously, if we were changing the clocks in December and then changing them back in January that would be silly — and the same if we were changing them in June and back in July

The “value,” such as it is, of DST comes from having habits and practices on each side of the change line, and getting us to do those things earlier and later, for significant portions of the year

This value is maximized if the clock changes are six months apart, for equal amounts of standard and DST time

and, of course, the whole point is to have one regime when it is lighter out and a different one when it is darker — so those changes should be in late March and mid September*

Even if we assume there is some point to all this. the current start time is a little early and the end time is far too late :disappointed:

∗ the equinoxes are not actually 182½ days apart — “summer” is about a week longer than “winter” because earth’s eccentric orbit

4 Likes

People in the southern hemisphere might disagree with you.

5 Likes

… yes, but I hesitate to footnote a footnote :disappointed: :disappointed:

7 Likes

Hey, at least you put “summer” and “winter” in quotes, acknowledging that they are arbitrary anyway.

1 Like

How could this possibly be controversial; there’s an ISO norm and everything.

9 Likes

Oh dear. The world is failing because it can’t even agree on common power plugs. Please don’t give me “standards” here.

Also, don’t get me started on other calendars.

2 Likes

I have to adjust the armillary sphere ring for my Dad.

I quite enjoy the changes of time, it symbolises a change in the seasons.

4 Likes

I thought I was on team DST, but this, this is what I really want. At the next possible shift, move 30 minutes and then never change again. An option I hadn’t thought about, but sounds perfect when thinking about it.

3 Likes

Give Me Five GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Above 45 Lat here. Drive to work in the dark, drive home in the dark, months on end.

3 Likes

Tell me about that. Nearly 60° here, though I don’t drive to work.
Luckily I “commute” often to about 42°.

2 Likes

& @DukeTrout: I grew up on the 45th, now live on the 42nd, but it’s the west end of EST in the US. It’s like living at 43.5.

3 Likes