Scientists invent 3D-printable Oreometer to figure out why Oreo frosting only sticks to one side

Originally published at: Scientists invent 3D-printable Oreometer to figure out why Oreo frosting only sticks to one side | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It’s most likely an artifact of the assembly process, the cream gets pressed onto the first half and likely is bonded stronger than the second when it is just placed on top and sent down the line. Speculation on my part but I doubt its from transport as the boxes they came in could end up in any orientation during their journey.

3 Likes

I haven’t eaten one in like 50 years, I don’t even remember if I liked them.

1 Like

This is a lottery fallacy.

The bond of the cream to the cookie is weaker than the internal structure of the cream, so it will come off on either side intact. It does not matter which side. This would be an interesting question if the cream always stuck to the same side by some identifiable marker.

This is your daily reminder that probabilities and statistics are unintuitive.

2 Likes

they mentioned every cookie in each pack the cream stuck to the side facing inward inside the pack so it couldn’t be random

2 Likes

Ah, that is interesting. Then I’m with you on your hypothesis about it being an artifact of manufacture.

2 Likes

I was thinking similar.

Also, after the filling would be applied to the first cookie, the exposed surface of the filling might have a few moments to dry out a bit, before the second cookie was applied to the filling.

3 Likes

Call me cynical, bitter, boorish, whatever. I look at stuff like this and I see the invisible hand of the marketplace prying out my eyeballs

2 Likes

When I made oreo-like cookies at home one xmas for a cookie swap, I did find that the frosting stuck to the bottom wafer more than the top, for what its worth. Ginger snaps sandwiching cinnamon icing, delicious.

3 Likes

Henry! Turn that television off!”

“You know it’s bad for your eyes!”

Monty Python’s Flying Circus S03E01 Whicker’s World

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.