Scientists: Saying "fuck" and other bad words really can decrease your feeling of pain

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/22/scientists-saying-fuck-an.html

8 Likes

As tested by BRIAN BLESSED:

14 Likes

The last 4 years-

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Helps mildly.

16 Likes

Thanks! Putting that in the post!

8 Likes

Isn’t this old news? Both in terms of actual scientific study and experienced reality (ie anyone who has ever experienced pain and sworn a lot)?

5 Likes

I live in chronic pain. Maybe this is why I cuss so much?

3 Likes

I want to build a church where the pews are made like a bed of nails. The chorus of "Fuck!"s coming from the congregation would be heavenly.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Swearing is also an invaluable tool in one’s arsenal when debugging code…

2 Likes

It’s the only tool I use for every job. It just works.

3 Likes

hGU3AV8

13 Likes

I wonder how this relates to some human response to pleasure with phrases like “fuck that feels good”.

From the headline, this sounded quite interesting to me until I noticed the colon.

8 Likes

So, it beats prayer or the best homeopathic drugs on the market then.

3 Likes

Well I recall reading it a few years ago, and it was pretty obvious, even then.

1 Like

I’ve gotta compare this with studies on reducing pain with laughter! Since this relies on prolonged use I find :laughing: causes less stress than :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:.

3 Likes

IIRC, those studies also found that it only works if those words are not part of your regular vocabulary. The taboo-breaking is required; if you swear like a sailor (or like a BRIAN BLESSED) all the time, they lose their power.

5 Likes

Well, shit.

4 Likes

So the Scots, Irish and Australians are fucked

2 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

2 Likes