Why swearing can be a good fucking way to sound convincing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/01/why-swearing-can-be-a-good-fuc.html

2 Likes

Why swearing can be a good fucking way to sound convincing

WTF! I’m really loving BB today!

6 Likes

Tl;dr version: the act of swearing is less important than how well you do it.

5 Likes

Roger fucking that!

9 Likes

I’m swearing now.

7 Likes

Cities Most Likely to Swear According to a survey released by Careerbuilder

Among top markets in the U.S., workers in the nation’s capital were the most likely to report that they swear at work, with Denver and Chicago rounding out the top three.

Washington D.C. – 62 percent
Denver – 60 percent
Chicago – 58 percent
Los Angeles – 56 percent
Boston – 56 percent
Atlanta – 54 percent
Minneapolis – 50 percent
Phoenix – 47 percent
New York – 46 percent
Philadelphia – 44 percent

Imagine that, people in DC trying to sound convincing.

3 Likes

I have a 10 year old son who hates hearing people swear so I hold my tongue pretty well. When I swear around him he knows shit just got real.

7 Likes

https://youtu.be/keZisXbu2tI?t=77

2 Likes

Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.

6 Likes
3 Likes

When was the last time you heard a politician swear?

4 Likes

Y’all get that in pretty much any other country, “damn” wouldn’t be considered to be swearing at all?

9 Likes

Dear ATLiens! Let’s step up our goddamn fucking game, ya assholes!

10 Likes

Came here to say: wait, ‘damn’ is considered swearing? That’s fucking bullshit, that is!

10 Likes

Swearing for emphasis is fine, provided it’s deployed strategically. To emphasize everything is to emphasize nothing. I always ask myself, am I swearing because something I’m saying can benefit from the emphasis? If not, then it’s just swearing to swear, which is bullshit. Of course that’s just a specific example of a more general rule I try to follow, to make every word count as much as possible. To be clear though, I don’t claim total success. It’s an aspirational rule.

I do however wish we Americans on the whole were more creative swearers. The nearly exclusive use of fuck and shit seems like a missed opportunity.

My theory on the utility of swears in arguments is that they engage the audience emotionally rather than intellectually, and it’s ancient knowledge that pathos combined with reason tends to be rhetorically more effective than reason on its own.

6 Likes

tldr
:joy:

4 Likes

3 Likes

This was what my son made in school for me for Father’s Day last year. It’s currently my Facebook cover image.

15 Likes

Uh, video NSFW if anyone couldn’t guess from context.

3 Likes

Hey, I’m doing my part.
Well, usually.

3 Likes