New House Democrat Rashida Tlaib: 'We're gonna impeach the motherf****r'

7 Likes

How does that help?

3 Likes

How does letting an obviously corrupt administration carry on for another 2 years, while yelling about how corrupt and evil the democratic party is? We’ve already had a failed bomber come out of Trump’s lies and the impact on our political system of Trump’s corruption is going to be with us for years. Why does trump get held to a different standard than the rest of humanity, is kind of what I’d like to know?

20 Likes

I sort of agree that it’s a bad move politically. It’s honest, which is good, but it’s also rude, which is bad. It gives ammunition to the fox news talking heads. It might define her for a long time since she said it on the first day of the term. I don’t think in the long run this is a good thing. First impressions and all.

I think when facing off against statements like this* the use of the word “motherfucker” is appropriate, if not conventionally wise. She has certainly nailed her colours to the mast which is laudable.

16 Likes

And also I’ve always liked a scathing insult delivered in the most polite of words. YMMV obviously.

1 Like

I don’t know that it ‘helps’ but I think it signals an end to the passively futile “when they go low, we go high” mentality.

17 Likes

True; I guess we’ll now have to put up with a stream of angry Tweets. Will they focus on her language, gender or religion? Place your bets.

11 Likes

All of the above!

18 Likes

But it’s okay for them to do it? Which they do. Fuck that high road shit. We been there done that and it isn’t working.

15 Likes

Safe bet, right?

10 Likes

It’s a sure thing, even…

8 Likes

are not all equivalently situated. Imagine if Chuck or Nancy had said it. Completely different impact, but also probably not the right people for the job. So who?

I would be good with that.

12 Likes

I believe Winston Churchill was the master of this.

15 Likes
16 Likes

Quick side question; in the past you posted a twitter thread where a WoC with a fabulous screen name that I can’t remember at the moment posted a rant about how when White men with privilege complain that her comments are “not helpful,” her response is "I’m not here to ‘help you’; I’m here to call you on your shit!"

Do you recall the twitter feed I’m thinking of?

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure that people who hate her for using that word weren’t going to love her for being more polite. A large part of the people who would accept her if she had been more polite would likely do so due to a sense of propriety they expect from any woman and not for any faux pas she hadn’t yet committed. Some would not tolerate this language even from a man, except if they’re the sort of people that need to be convinced then they’ve already accepted far worse than this single expletive.

The implication is that maybe the same sentiment coming from a white man would be less harmful. But silencing a woman to avoid hurting the white man’s feelings is much more horrible than saying “motherfucker”.

13 Likes

I will have to do some searching.

4 Likes

ETA: She’s from Detroit. MF’er is a polite salutation.

13 Likes