Scottish barmen replace kilts with trousers because patrons were grabbing their penises

They were still in business the last I heard - they’re not my first choice for toys, but I know more than a few people in the community that highly recommend them. They’re much better than the low-end sleazy shops, but not quite as intimidating to the beginner as some of the more specialized shops.

1 Like

I figured this thread would quickly turn to a shitshow. Coming in a bit late, I’m a little surprised it didn’t immediately do so. That said, what those barmen have been putting up with is absolutely criminal. Expecting them to wear trousers if they would prefer to wear kilts is complete victim blaming. If, however, the uniform the owner made them wear was a kilt, then the owner is liable for the sexual abuse they’ve suffered on the job. If it were the US and this last option was the reality, it’s a losing hostile workplace suit if there ever was one.

5 Likes

Yep, I don’t think there’s much to add to the story. What’s required is that the pub throws out the people committing the sexual assault and/or calls the police. Changing them into trousers is victim blaming, taking basic steps to prevent a hostile workplace is what they should be doing. There are already laws about serving obviously drunk people but they are never enforced.

Also, not really relevant but it kinda fits here.

I remember going to a British theme pub on the River Walk in San Antonio. Just like Merrie olde England with old phone boxes inside the bar etc.

All the servers had to wear kilts - although the women were wearing more like micro kilts and had made up name tags. I remember we were served by someone called ‘Lacy Panties’. Charming place, served frozen daiquiris just like all the pubs back home.

4 Likes

Agreeing with the sexual harassment angle to this. The cops should had been called the first time it happened.

I don’t think I’ll ever get the whole “be served by a sexy waiter” restaurants… I guess there is a whole host of those now. I do wonder if harassment of servers is more intense in those places (which, btw, there are ones when men are indeed dressed up instead of women).

2 Likes

Yeah places like Hooter’s kinda give me the creeps now, as it is marketed as ‘family friendly’ and really isn’t sending a good message to the kids brought in there. Even though I am not a fan of strip clubs and such like that at least they are honest about what they are doing as far as the presentation.

2 Likes

Yeah, I tend to think that if that’s what you want, be honest and go to a strip club. But if that’s what you want, be even more honest and go to a brothel.

Or don’t do that either, because they’re all gross ideas.

1 Like

Why? What those unlucky enough to not be able to score some to save their lives are supposed to do? Suck it up?

Only if they’re really flexible.

4 Likes

That makes exploitation of other human beings okay?

1 Like

The argument about “exploitation of other human beings” applies to literally anything you’d buy, pretty much. The patronizing attitudes towards sex workers as them all needing saving is way, way grosser.

2 Likes

I’m all for legalized and regulated sex trade and I agree about your point of being patronizing to sex workers - many are adults making adult decisions to do what they want with their bodies. In that case, its’ not exploitation in the same way (other than the whole concept of any transaction entailing some level of exploitation). But when it’s in the shadows (which prostitution, especially often is), it’s too prone to what amounts to the slave trade. I’d think legitimizing sex work goes hand in hand with our culture treating sex workers better.

And yes, capitalism exploits everyone. Crime syndicates are literally capitalism fully unregulated. Some of those crime syndicates deal in human beings, for sex work and cheap labor. A trafficked sex worker is much like a sweat shop worker, underpaid and abused, with no support or protection. But yes, that’s not the same thing as a sex worker who enjoys and profits off their work.

6 Likes

I remember seeing these back when Hooters was in a lawsuit. But she’s pretty cute - might go to that Hooters!

2 Likes

a real life version of O’nutters?

1 Like

Sweet gig! They get a whole hour for lunch at Payless. I’ve never been given an entire hour for lunch anywhere I’ve worked, full time, part time, technical contractor, never more than half an hour.

I’ve never known why anyone would want an hour for lunch, unless it’s paid. Do people like hanging around work instead of going home earlier?

Wouldn’t wearing a transparent kilt solve the problem? Then people wouldn’t need to touch them to know what is under there.

4 Likes

So I can finish a few chapters in whatever book I’m reading, of course.

3 Likes

Well, if you don’t bring lunch and have to eat out, there’s travel and service time to be considered.

4 Likes

Yup. Crossing the freeway to get to the mall (because apparently my work’s side of the freeway is basically “the wrong side of the tracks”, there is no food on the east side of I5 in Federal Way) itself can take half an hour.

2 Likes

My dad got a full hour of paid lunch as a union electrician. He’s naturally very conservative, but at least he understands marginal income, marginal expense, and how to treat his own subordinates fairly.

1 Like