SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

15 Likes

SCOTUS passed on a gerrymandering case appeal:

15 Likes

“The Supreme Court has lost its honor, prestige, and standing, & has become nothing more than a political body, with our Country paying the price,” -D. J.Trump 11.23.22

:thinking:

15 Likes

Out of context, I actually agree with him.

But I’m sure he’s just whining about the decision to release his tax returns.

19 Likes

How’s that knife feel, SCOTUS?

15 Likes

Like it’s made of paper, perhaps.

Given that his installees with lifelong jobs owe him no allegiance whatsoever.

12 Likes

What’s bribery among friends right?

12 Likes
28 Likes

Oh my…

20 Likes

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

14 Likes
12 Likes

Assholes. Who has standing to object to debt relief? It doesn’t cause harm to anyone directly; and they really don’t want to open the can of worms of ruling that taxes represent harm and thus establish standing.

Morans.

ETA: maybe, just like 45 ignored the Congress and court-issued blocks to building the wall, Biden can use military spending to fund college loan debt relief. Make anyone who qualifies a member of the military for one second then pay off their debt under the GI Bill?

17 Likes

But - I thought they were Christians?

Deuteronomy 15

1 At the end of every seven years you must cancel debts.

14 Likes

It helps people right wing assholes don’t like, so we can’t have it… God wants us to pull us up by our bootstraps, after all, so sayeth supply-side Jesus… After all, if one isn’t born into wealth, that’s just evidence that god hates that person… /s

joanna lumley rage GIF

Not that passage! /s

13 Likes
13 Likes

It was swept under the robes.

13 Likes

The coalition of states challenging the program — Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and South Carolina — argue primarily that the Department of Education does not have the right to cancel loans in these circumstances. The pandemic, the states say, is just being used as “pretext” for fulfilling the Biden administration’s campaign promise to cancel debt, and they contend that in addition to being fiscally irresponsible, the program will specifically harm the states’ loan authorities — state or nonprofit organizations that service federal loans — by reducing their revenue.

None of this argues that it is outside the authority of the DoE, just that they don’t like it…

16 Likes

… says right there, “equal protection of the laws”

7 Likes

and here i thought they liked cutting taxes :thinking:

8 Likes

They don’t have standing, since they aren’t harmed. This makes no sense.

Boo fucking hoo. That’s not even relevant. By that logic, I have standing to sue each of those states that refused the free federal money to expand Medicaid under the ACA. Hell, I have more standing and a better case because I work for a medical device company that does business in those states. I actually can establish (tenuous) harm by their failure to expand Medicaid.

Those are nonprofits. They aren’t supposed to run a profit, they are supposed to benefit people - like the ones whose loans would be forgiven!

Angry Jason Jones GIF by The Detour

16 Likes