SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

That is a very encouraging bit of news. This is an existential threat to democracy, and possibly the last chance for the right to completely rig the system.

15 Likes
13 Likes

… the “this would mean lots of extra work for the federal courts” argument seems pretty clever :thinking:

12 Likes
12 Likes

It’s awesome that one of the cornerstones of the modern liberal order, Democracy itself in the USA, is going to come down to whether one of the known bad-faith actors installed in a particular court probably won’t chose outright fascism… this time.

lolsob.gif.

18 Likes

Everything seems like that now. Will the Republicans take the house and senate? Maybe not. Will Putin start a nuclear war? We don’t think so. Will Trump start a nuclear war? There’s probably some checks on that. Will Trump get elected? Probably not…oops, you rolled a one.

18 Likes

Are you a Christian? Then I’m sorry, I’m going to have to ask you to stop reading now and direct your attention elsewhere. The comics, maybe. Nothing personal, understand. It isn’t that I believe you and your children are damned to burn in hell for all eternity. It’s that my religion forbids addressing you, in my view. “These are the words that you shall speak to the sons of Israel,” God tells Moses in Exodus, which obviously leaves Gentiles out.

Wait a second! “Sons”? Maybe women readers should move on too. Let me pray on that and get back to you.

“When did this happen?” you might ask. And I might ask, “What are you still doing here?” But OK, for argument’s sake, while you are moving yourself down the pike, I was reminded by the Supreme Court’s taking up another Colorado business unwilling to bow to the humiliation of providing services to people of whom they disapprove.

Ten years ago it was a Colorado baker who didn’t want to create a cake for a gay wedding. Now it’s a graphic designer floating the argument that she is a creative artist whose First Amendment rights are being infringed upon by the government, and its pesky insistence on treating all citizens equally.

Yes, there is an alternate view, that not only democracy, but also the basic capitalist system demands treating all paying customers the same — your cash is good, you buy a newspaper, you get to read every story in it.

But that is a fallacy, in that it chafes against my sincere religious belief.

15 Likes

A future in headline writing you have.

6 Likes

The author likes the word “robust”. I think it gives too much credit to specious arguments.

1 Like

I believe the term of art for that concept is “multiple redundant single points of failure”.

5 Likes
16 Likes
13 Likes

secret scotus wives

media4.giphy.com/media/ilqOZXJ8pxfQnnLEjK/200w.gif...

16 Likes

Politico reported that Justice Brett Kavanaugh attended a private holiday party on Friday night at the home of Matt Schlapp, who is chairman of the Conservative Political Action Coalition (CPAC), and that attendees included Stephen Miller, whose group America First Legal Foundation has interests in cases now pending before the court.

“I like beer and dark slithering Nazi lizards”

16 Likes

“raises ethical questions” like for instance, how can anyone justify this unethical behavior? and, what can be done about it?

8 Likes

Leonard Leo

9 Likes
13 Likes

from

16 Likes

:thinking: Someone needs two arrows. I believed Anita Hill!

eric stonestreet confirmation GIF by HBO

16 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

7 Likes