SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

Big Day Today:

The Supreme Court is set to hear arguments over whether former President Donald Trump is ineligible to be president again and can be kept off the ballot.

The court convenes at 10 a.m. Eastern.

Here’s what we’re following:

3 Likes

The Nation’s legal analyst Elie Mystal explained that Mitchell was caught by Justice Elena Kagan making an argument that wasn’t based on the text of the Constitution.

“You’re not making a constitutional argument. You’re making a statutory pre-emption argument… is that right?” she asked.

Mystal noted that “one of the fun things about the Trump argument is that it’s actually not grounded in constitutional law.”

Conservative Justice Amy Coney Barrett joined with Kagan in the argument, which is when Mitchell was forced to admit that his argument wasn’t a constitutional one.

Mystal pointed out that Justice Samuel Alito came “to the rescue” by “restating Mitchell’s argument for him since he was flailing.”

*emphasis mine

2 Likes

That did not seem to go well for Colorado.

4 Likes

that’s a weird one considering he has no competitors in the caucus.

6 Likes

That was my impression too.

I get the position that this decision shouldn’t be made on a state-by-state basis, especially if it allowed bad actors in other states use it as an excuse to disqualify Democratic candidates for frivolous reasons, but that’s why it’s so critical for SCOTUS to make a final determination on Trump’s eligibility already.

Ballots have already gone out for the Super Tuesday primaries and we still don’t have a definitive legal ruling on whether the leading Republican candidate is even Constitutionally qualified to run for the office. In the current political environment this kind of dickering could literally spark a civil war.

4 Likes

It should already have been decided.

Deciding after some states have held their primaries is bad.
Deciding after both parties have finished the process and he’s the R canditate is worse.
Deciding after the election is even worse.

The R party should have a contingency plan for when Trump is struck off for (relatively) smoothly moving onto selecting a valid candidate.
Though given that they’re giving their full support to someone who is so obviously banned from office under 14A that folks at Eastern +5 hours are keyboard bashing over it… I won’t hold my breath.

1 Like

There is no need for the party to be given the benefit of the doubt. There are so many things T**** has done that should have disqualified him practically, regardless of the legal determination of eligibility under 14Asec3, that the party should have shut him down as a viable candidate themselves. Instead, they’ve assissted him to the RNC’s detriment. If he’s determined to be legally ineligible at any point, including after a hypothetical victory, then they’ve earned that downfall.

7 Likes

One point of contention argued by Kavanaugh and others is that Colorado removing Trump from the ballot “disenfranchises Trump voters.”

I see it as the exact opposite. Allowing an ineligible candidate to appear on the ballot disenfranchises voters, because if Trump is ultimately barred from taking the office it means that millions of Americans wasted their votes when they could have chosen one of the other candidates. So I’d say states have a duty to their voters to only include Constitutionally eligible candidates.

9 Likes

Yeah, that same argument would be considered laughable if someone tried to say that not allowing a 33-year-old onto the ballot (due to the constitutional eligibility requirements) were disenfranchising the people who wanted to vote for that candidate. But people with legal backgrounds are still treating the “should insurrectionists be allowed on the ballot?” question as one that should be left up to the voters.

7 Likes

Moreover, there are no such things (legally) as “T**** Voters.” They are just voters. If they are eligible to vote, then they can vote. They can vote for anyone on the ballot or even write in a vote for a candidate who is not on the ballot (a la Biden in NH). Claiming that T**** not being on the ballot disenfranchises them is such bullshit, even more so as the question is for a primary and his hypothetical opponent just won a primary through write-in voting.

Whenever some says, “shouldn’t the question be up to the voters?” I respond that it was, in 1865, and they voted that insurrectionists are ineligible for public office.

11 Likes
3 Likes

National popular vote. It’s long overdue.

8 Likes

Supreme Court gives Smith one week to respond to Trump on immunity

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4465323-supreme-court-gives-smith-one-week-to-respond-to-trump-on-immunity/

The timeline for Smith’s response isn’t fast compared to how the Supreme Court has handled some recent emergency applications, however, a signal the justices aren’t viewing Trump’s case with particular urgency.

1 Like

a signal the justices aren’t viewing Trump’s case with particular urgency.

Oh by all means, take your time. It’s not like the entire concept of rule of law that comprises the heart of our Democratic Republic is at stake or anything.

8 Likes

I would be surprised if Smith needed a week.

7 Likes

I wonder, if he responded in 24 hours would that help things along or just annoy the justices who are happy to drag this out?

5 Likes

If trump is elected they become mere door stops to keep the gates open for the most the fabulous levels of grifting!

1 Like

Thomas: “Goddamnit Smith, I had a vacation planned!”

7 Likes

At least he’s not losing any money. They don’t charge you to park your semi truck RV at Walmart.

Where he always vacations.

1 Like

Thomas (maybe)
“takin’ the RV down to miami to catch Harlan’s boat out to the Caymans for a little banking. Ginny gon’ do some shoppin’, imma do some fishin’.
y’all get back tomme when i can collect mah pay…”
i’m not even sure this needs an /s. but there it is…
for insurance.:wink:

7 Likes