Sean Hannity unaware of hero Buckley's best line

Ha, excellent!

I’ve actually watched that debate. So good to watch Jimmy B slaughter that smug fascist. And out-elegant him in the process too.

7 Likes

I think that comment can be extended beyond just those two

and so on…

6 Likes

Apparently people who use such witless pejoratives have no clue whatsoever that they are simply identifying themselves as emotionally immature morons who are incapable of even a tiny modicum of civility when dealing with anyone who has a different opinion.

Well stated; the moment anyone of any affiliation starts hurling ad hominem insults is the moment that I tune them out and dismiss anything they have to say as a waste of my time.

1 Like

Beck is an interchangeable white-guy blowhard too…
//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/9/d/9d438fa513d3f444b27f3a6cfb49f04dcf6e9990.gif

6 Likes

Can’t stop laughing, right wing loony boss is coming over now.

5 Likes

Speaking of joyless narcissism, what’s the bet that many of those self-appointed right-wing pundits in Hannity’s replies have decried ‘lefty political correctness’ as the arch nemesis of modern comedy at one time or another? Trying to attack a piece of benign sarcasm even after being informed of the context does not exactly make you seem good humored.

You’ve got to admit, it was awfully suspicious of him, walking quietly out like! That Patriot is lucky he got that shot in before the Urban Thug got a chance to! You can’t be too safe. The Urban American could’ve been a Muslin or doped up on the marihuana!

3 Likes

Absolutely, good neighbor. Sounds like you’ve really learned how to stand your ground! Never know when that right-wing right hook is going to come in handy.

4 Likes

So edgy, so current!

6 Likes

Teasing such a phenomenal thing with a GIF (smattering of raindrops on the windows, a light breeze through the kitchen door, and the feeling of a tongue in the liminal space between harsh and smooth) and without a linky? Oh dear. Oooh dear.

11 Likes

Fair enough. Thanks for posting…

2 Likes

Ha, poor poor Billy Buckley, having to follow a performance like that! Almost makes me feel sorry for him.

Okay, not really. I’ve never seen a sleazy slimeball exposed as such so mercilessly, so satisfactorily. And merely by presenting in oneself such a stunning contrast.

4 Likes

I know. I meant it’s 100% more clever, not more aggro.

2 Likes

About two and a half minutes into the documentary “Best of Enemies” about the debates between William F Buckley Jr and Gore Vidal on ABCNews during the 1968 Republican and Democratic conventions, Buckley first appears on film at a speaking engagement somewhere in the early 1960s, and says, “Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen. That was a very nice introduction. On the other hand, if it hadn’t been I would have smashed you in the God damn face.”

Later in the film, when Buckley loses his temper at Vidal and says, "Now listen, you queer. Stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I’ll sock you in your God damn face and you’ll stay plastered” it becomes the watershed line of the whole public affair.

Still later, he uses the same line with Noam Chomsky on Buckley’s show, “The Firing Line,” which you can see on Youtube.

William F Buckley was a cowardly bully with a pretentious vocabulary.

5 Likes

Hence my gif of Buckley saying that to (very young) Chomsky. The guy wasn’t very nice, for sure and he was certainly a harbinger of things to come.

1 Like

I don’t have the slightest sorrow for that guy. He was condescending without even trying. Disingenuous as well, the asshole when he tries to throw out the nonsense that African Americans have shown a “failure to make certain exertions” to get jobs, training, that they have 14x as many illegitimate children, etc.

Whereas Baldwin couldn’t help but win when he said, “I grew that cotton. I carried it to market…” Powerful!

Oddly, one of my favorite lines of Baldwin’s, mostly because I fall under the same fallacy, that being nice, polite, to everyone, will raise the standard of everyone, when it has little bearing on the standards of anyone.

"...we could walk out of here assuming that the measure of our enlightenment or our politeness, may have some effect on the world. It may not."

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

4 Likes

Was just thinking I’d listen to a line or two from Baldwin, to get a feel for the man, but ended up watching his whole speech. Damn, that’s powerful stuff!

4 Likes

It really was. And Buckley demonstrated his eloquence and his vocabulary, and no moral authority at all.

4 Likes

It is powerful stuff. Especially so when Baldwin mentions B. Kennedy (IIRC) telling him about the potential for having a black president in 40 years. Oh, hey, thanks Bob, so nice of you. Besides…forty fucking years. It’s not hard to see how Baldwin could take that as an insult.

2 Likes

No he wouldn’t. Blue uniforms are for science people, right? He’d totally be a red shirt, ready to die for the cause.

1 Like