Seasteading meets the shock doctrine in Puerto Rico, where ethnic cleansing precedes Going Galt

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/23/from-maria-to-puertopia.html

8 Likes

“Seasteading meets the shock doctrine in Puerto Rico, where ethnic cleansing precedes Going Galt”

Imagine being an English-speaker from the first half of the 20th century trying to comprehend that headline.

6 Likes

Of all the Griefs that harrass the Distrest,
Sure the most bitter is a scornful Jest
– Samuel Johnson 1738

4 Likes

They have no power I can think of: neither economic nor political nor military. And gaining the sympathy of those who read The Intercept will do no good either.

These folks have just a month left to move, about a million people, preferably, to the tightest-race Congressional districts and establish residence in time to vote in November. I think a full million people could swing a couple of dozen races, if correctly distributed.

The deal, of course, would be that the back-in-power Democrats would have, on top of their natural inclination to provide the $146B relief package, some bills to pay. A million people moving cross-continent for several months is no minor expense and trouble, and a grateful nation would owe them heavily.

Yes, I’m kidding. But it is a theoretical possibility.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.