SeaWorld offers delicious syringe of hot cheese

When eating my burger, I like to be reminded of the injectable drug crisis in America.

Keep the syringe kids, Uncle Lanny is going to the stars tonight!

4 Likes

So it seems I’m the only one here who thinks a delicious syringe of hot cheese is a fantastic idea.

1. I love cheese. I love expensive artisan cheese and I love the orange coloured goo that comes in a catering size can, and I love everything in between.

2. Cheese is better hot. Maybe not all cheeses, but cheddary cheese is better hot. And if you’re eating cheese directly out of the fridge, your doing it wrong.

3. The most convenient way to dispense liquid cheese is from something pressurised with a nozzle. Aerosols are fantasic but they only work for cold cheese. Which leaves… the syrynge. Ideally glass, horse-sized with free refills.

:smiley:

4 Likes

At one of the zoos near me I always experience the same cognitive dissonance. After going around learning about all of the ways that plastics, climate change, habitat destruction, etc. are ruining the planet as a place these animals can live, you wind up at the food court and gift shop, where you are offered the exact stuff that is contributing to these problems — cheeseburgers, disposable packaging, use it once and throw it away cheap geegaws. When lots of local parks and shops in the area have moved to lower-impact food choices and zero waste packaging, the zoo soldiers on.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s a case of unintended consequences. Local governments put rules in place banning single-use items, and as a consequence stores and restaurants offer bags, containers, etc. that are heavier duty so they can be considered reusable. Of course most people don’t reuse them, and more plastic ends up being thrown away.

2 Likes

Why the fuck would anyone do this to begin with? The syringe must be more expensive than just a slice of cheese, it’s already a “cheeseburger,” so you don’t gain anything in consumer choice by having the cheese on the side (how many people were ordering cheeseburgers and complaining, “oh, if only there was slightly less/more processed cheese substance on this burger!” It’s just inexplicable waste and added cost. I can only imagine it was done as a stunt, to get attention, but it seems like it would attract more bad attention than good…

1 Like

wait… if it’s (recently) hot cheese, preloading likely poses food safety concerns. So they probably have to take a syringe back to the vat of cheese and suck it up for every order.

I have a hard time imagining an open container of warmish cheese behaving well. Worst case scenario - they use a nacho-style pump to blorp a serving of cheese into a lil plastic container, then suck it into the syringe out of that.

ok, I’ve now spent way too much time visualizing the mundane beforemath of cheese injection

Spongebob Squarepants Thumbs Down GIF.
So they’re replacing all the animals they pulled out of the oceans with plastic. Lovely…,

1 Like

So which will decay first, the plastic syringe or the cheese within?

2 Likes

Wait till you see the hot meat tubes.

The syringe. Definitely.

Back when I was a kid, I used to make “grilled” cheese in the microwave. I attempted to make one with some cheap cheese as well as some turkey loaf. The turkey melted, the cheese didn’t.

Hot cheese, sure. [Actually I’m guessing that’s probably closer to pasteurized processed cheese product than actual cheese, but close enough.] But why put it in a syringe?

Pretzel cup o’ cheese. Break off a bit of the lip, dunk it in the “cheese”. Repeat until you have a bite sized cup with a few drops of now lukewarm “cheese”, then pop the whole thing in your mouth.

Or if you want to reuse some of the equipment, pretzel cones for cheese instead of waffle cones for ice cream.

1 Like

I would think they’d remove the plunger and load it from the top. It could take a long time to draw it up through the tip.

1. Those syringes look virtually identical the preloaded syringes of ant poison I buy. I suspect preloaded syringes is a mature market with plentiful automation.
  2. Anyone remember Cheez-Whiz? Delicious (to me) semi-solid cheese spread that was shelf stable unrefridgerated (until opened).

So they can be made by the million in a centralized factory and transported/stored with zero refridgeration needs. I guess they just set a few under a heat lamp (microwave would be too hot and generate internal pressure). I’m guessing breakage is near 0%.

And yes, they are evil and don’t deserve cheese.

1 Like

I would have guessed the same thing, except that the Sea World website as well as the label on the syringe itself both actualy said cheese without quotation marks, not “cheese product” or “cheez” or “cheese food.”

So based on that labeling it legally needs to be over 50% real cheese solids by weight. Closer than what a lot of cheap fast food burgers are topped with.

Having volunteered at The Marine Mammal Center, I believe it is to simulate force-feeding a seal/sea lion/dolphin/whale.

2 Likes

I remember learning that the formula that they use to feed rescued seal pups has a ridiculously high fat content. Seal milk is 60 percent fat, the highest known in the animal kingdom. So I’d bet that cheese made from seal milk would be very gooey.

The kitchen blenders were immense because they had to smash up frozen sardines and make fish milkshakes. The “burrito wrap” technique for subduing and intubating a baby elephant seal for feeding/medication is also one of those things you never forget. I am sure that squirting food down their patients’ throats is something Sea World vet techs are very familiar with.

1 Like

Here the British Divers Marine Life rescue help a young seal at their seal hospital.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.