"Second amendment audit" is actually a massive demonstration of white privilege

But that’s against the law… oh wait…

3 Likes

I wish. Unfortunately the opposite seems to be happening, as what these kinds of guys actually do is normalize being threatened (by white men) with a gun in public. Waving a gun around, pointing it at people, actually making threats - these are all things that have happened at “2nd amendment protests” in recent years, with no one getting arrested or even cautioned. Everyone just shrugs their shoulders as the gun-fondlers escalate their threatening behavior.

Like the “anti-lockdown” protest in North Carolina last year - it got attention because some of the protesters had fake weapons (ha ha, how funny!), but what didn’t get widely reported is that one of the people in this group threatened a Black family that just happened to be walking by. Nothing happened, no arrests, in fact at this point I’m having great difficulty finding news reports that even mention it, as they get swamped in search results by stories like this:

This is the only one I could find, but it’s behind a paywall:

6 Likes

We should certainly be uncomfortable with the fact that police are likely to kill people extrajudicially.

And we can sure as shit be uncomfortable with the dissonance between who police warn about the possibility and who they just go ahead and kill.

NC demonstrators wielded guns and terrorized a family. Where were the police?

7 Likes

I’ve heard that “First Amendment Audits” are also a thing-- and they are allegedly quite confrontational. Is this an off shoot of that movement/“youtube content generation activity”?

Confrontational speech is one thing–but waving around weapons is quite another.

I don’t see that they are succeeding in normalizing threatening people with guns. Of course with anything related to guns there aren’t enough studies so I won’t ask you to show me the evidence. What I know is that whenever this comes up, I hear outrage, and it is not outrage about how comfortable people feel in these situations.

And to be clear I fully support outrage. The question is where to channel that outrage. The consensus here seems to be that eliminating audits is the best solution.

I’m very interested to hear if people have other targets for their outrage.
I’m sure y’all are too sophisticated to buy into the police’s weaksauce suggestion that more social media dialog is the solution.

That is illegal and obviously not to be tolerated. Being out in public open carrying a gun makes it easier to find and arrest them.

The people who do second amendment audits tend to be more careful than your average gun toter about not doing illegal things at the same time. For obvious self interested reasons.

Since you haven’t linked to the incident I can’t verify whether it was a simple audit or something else. The incidents you linked to are definitely something other than audits, and of course the illegal behavior should be fully prosecuted.

Funny who we seem to tolerate it from though.

2 Likes

“Extra mayonnaise please.”

2 Likes

Sure, it’s usually outrage about how there were no consequences for the white dude threatening people with a gun. It’s become an increasingly-common tactic by right-wing groups at protests (either threatening counter-protesters, or showing up at protests and threatening people) in the last couple of years. These people aren’t being prosecuted for it, as they have police sympathy.

4 Likes

In an actual audit, there is nothing to prosecute because sadly there is no law broken. You seem to be talking about something else, which is fine.

This is guy is an asshole. There are many assholes like him, but this one is ours to make fun of.

2 Likes

Meanwhile in AZ…

2 Likes

My skin is dark yo

This is the equivalent of the overreach when folks need a Humvee to grab a gallon of milk at the grocery store.

3 Likes

Would you look at that. The gentlemen with boomsticks are finally wearing masks.

5 Likes

Greek dark or Spanish dark?

6 Likes

Or maybe African diaspora “dark?”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.