Second Idaho hospital will no longer deliver babies

Yes… my right to control my body has nothing to do with quality of life… More important is wealthy white men not having to be reminded that the poors exist… /s

18 Likes

You’re going to need a lot of citations.

13 Likes

People also move to poor states from wealthier ones to retire well on their savings. Taking advantage of the developing world conditions, using accumulated wealth to insulate themselves from the mismanagement.

Actually having to make a living there and maintain a middle class existence not being much of a consideration.

People still flock to California because that’s where the money is made. It’s where you find the high end white collar jobs and unionized blue collar ones.

17 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

11 Likes

Please- people have been moving from California to everywhere because real estate is so expensive there.

13 Likes

Pretty easy to find articles if you search “Californians moving to Idaho”, like this one. All cite quality of life and affordable real estate as reasons to move. All include grumbling of Idahoans about what that’s doing to their state, especially real estate prices in Idaho. Take a look at this quite amazing five year graph to get the trend, which has actually softened some this year, probably because the California real estate market has dropped some.

Ah… anecdotes… the most anecdata of data… /s

You are aware that if asked, people aren’t going to say “because CA is too woke” when asked why they moved… “Quality of life” has really become one of those stand ins for “too diverse”… It’s pretty much code for “white flight”… and yes, I noticed that the article mentions Chinese-Americans… but racism isn’t just something for white people. Many conservatives, whatever their race or religion embrace racist ideologies…

But back to the topic: if you don’t think an inability to access some of the most basic healthcare humans need - reproductive care and bringing new humans into the world - is a “quality of life” issue… then maybe you need to rethink what quality of life actually means.

21 Likes

You should move there.

4 Likes

What those articles miss is the reasons why they do. Whether they are working in the state. Real estate prices are high in places like CA because lots of money is being made there. Lots of jobs are based there. It’s desirable for people with money.

I can sell my NJ condo near the Hudson and buy a nice house in Idaho. But I would earn 1/3rd to 1/2 of what I get now. I would have a tough time finding the same level of infrastructure (especially healthcare) and I have more to worry about racists and raging Bible Thumpers trying to make things difficult.

19 Likes

Quality of life issues.

16 Likes

Tv Land Teacher GIF by Teachers on TV Land

As I said in my addendum above, “quality of life” is often a coded term for “white flight”…

Well, people try to make it a California, NYC, or “coastal” problem - but the reality is that this is a national problem. It’s just hitting various places unevenly. I’m guessing that there are probably people in cities in Idaho who are being priced out of their homes by the people from CA who are “priced” out of their homes (or more likely, conservatives moving to places that they feel align with their values - hating everyone who isn’t just like them).

Silly! That’s only having to look at the poors! That’s just god sorting out the real women!!! /s

14 Likes

Healthcare there was likely pretty bad before this. Now it will be Mad Max levels.

8 Likes

But it’s not like there is a wealth of industry moving there. Where are the jobs for this alleged mass exodus?

More reason I am thinking it’s retirees or people who do not have to find work in the state.

9 Likes

From the KTVB Boise news:

Californian Dylan Anderson moved with his family to the Treasure Valley in July 2020. Originally from San Diego, they made the move to raise a family in what he described as a clean and safe environment.

“California is kind of going to the opposite direction,” Anderson said. “We are not looking to change anything, as opposed to red versus blue or anything along those lines.”

Tell me you’re rich and white and can afford to be apolitical.

17 Likes

Well, yeah… I agree. It’s people who can afford to move already who are driving this… the same people probably do not have to worry about getting access to reproductive care, either. Fuck the rest of us, they got theirs!

But either way, a bunch of people moving to a new place and buying up land will raise the cost of living for others. It’s a national problem, and acting like it’s just a “coastal” or “urban” issue isn’t particularly helpful for looking at it systemically.

11 Likes

Man Reaction GIF by Ford

7 Likes

But with H71 now on the governor’s desk - which, if signed, would outlaw gender affirming care for minors; including puberty blockers, hormones, and surgeries - the event was also a rally to speak out against the bill.

“If things get really bad, we can leave the state. I am incredibly worried for my friends who can’t,” Lynn said. “I’m incredibly worried for my friends who are worried about being stuck here, not able to leave, but not able to access gender affirming care - or being taken from their parents, because their parents are now considered felons because they gave their kids the care that is medically proven to be the most effective - the one that made their child happy.”

20 Likes

Silly… what does that have to do with ignoring the poors! /s

10 Likes

… usually homeowners like it when prices go up

I wonder what else it could be about “Californians” that they don’t like :thinking:

13 Likes

What’s funky about the differences in education between those states is the student success is much higher in California (top 15) vs Idaho (bottom half), but student safety drags California down…largely due to the funnel of guns from states with uncontrolled firearms markets, like Idaho.

Regarding crime, the relative ranking is suspect. Mostly rural states have been found to dramatically under-report crime statistics while intensely urban areas often over-report crime in order for police departments to justify funding.

13 Likes